Stumped on Gender!

It's an in-betweener. The comb/face get darker when it is flushed. I'm going to say cockerel because the comb has a little bit of height to it at an early age. Time will tell.
thank you so much! how much longer till ill know for sure? you think

Hello its my first post here glad i found this forum!

Anyways i have this lil guy he’s around 9-10 weeks old and im stumped on the gender. I’ve noticed his comb changes colors itll vary from a little pink to super super pale. The picture im posting is about as pink as his comb ever gets. I get alot of mixed answers when i ask around but wanted to see if some of you experts could tell me for certain
Hello there! I opened this thread because I also have two chicks with questionable gender. I'm definite on the other two. Your chick looks like a cockerel to me. Reasons (which if any expert here can correct me on, I'll be delighted to know aren't necessarily true) :
1. The pic where you are keeping him steady with your hand. He is standing really upright, and the line of his chest is pretty acute. Pullets are more streamlined and particularly when they're walking, you'll see they hold their bodies and heads more horizontally.

2. Any of the head pics. His neck feathers are still really babyish and scruffy looking. I would expect a pullet of that age to look sleek on the neck. Cockerels grow their long neck ruff (or whatever its called!) in later. Till then they look pretty scrappy.

There's my 2 cents! I'm no expert though. As I said, I have two that are confusing me at the moment 🤣

It's an in-betweener. The comb/face get darker when it is flushed. I'm going to say cockerel because the comb has a little bit of height to it at an early age. Time will tell.
Huh. This is not good news for me. I have one that I'm really hoping is a pullet. She/he/it has nice sleek neck feathers, and holds herself low to the ground but has a tiny half-comb, sticking straight up and always bright red. No wattles. Damn mongrels! You can never tell till they start crowing 😅

Huh. This is not good news for me. I have one that I'm really hoping is a pullet. She/he/it has nice sleek neck feathers, and holds herself low to the ground but has a tiny half-comb, sticking straight up and always bright red. No wattles. Damn mongrels! You can never tell till they start crowing 😅
In a few weeks males will get those slim, pointy feathers hanging off the sides of the lower back, so that's when you should know if the males don't crow first. Mixes can be a little tougher.

In a few weeks males will get those slim, pointy feathers hanging off the sides of the lower back, so that's when you should know if the males don't crow first. Mixes can be a little tougher.
Thank you 👍 Fingers crossed! I will be watching like a hawk. And possibly acting like a hawk when I know which is which 😉

Back
Top Bottom