Stumped, wing issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scooter147, Sep 20, 2013.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Ok, I've been around chickens almost 50 years (ok I don't remember the first ten or so) but this has me stumped.

1. About two weeks ago I go out to lock up and there is one of the hens on the floor of the coop walking around and worrying herself sick to find a way up to the roosts. The roosts start at about 30 inches off the floor. I bend down pick her up set her on the first bar and she goes to jump to the next bar up and falls straight to the floor.
    HMMM. I do it again and sure enough the same thing happens, I noticed that she appeared to make no attempt to flap her wings when she was headed to the floor. I pick her up, hold her under the wings and tilt her backwards. No wing flapping which in not normal. In the morning I watch her closely as she comes off the roost and splat, no wing flapping.
    This went on for a few days and she is now back to normal. She is up on the roost every night when I lock and I even had picker her up and dropped her to make sure her wings are working and they are.

2. I now have another hen that has these same symptoms for the past few days.

Any body have a clue what I am dealing with?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mareks disease can have neurological symptoms that come and go, then later on the chicken may develop tumors.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Thanks, Mereks is what I found as a possible cause but I do have them vaccinated. So I wonder if it is a "mild" form? The second hen is fine now as well.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am not an expert on Mareks, just know a little bit about it and am learning. I have read in textbooks that there can be milder forms when they still get it after vaccination. However there is a good ongoing thread by some experts with it in their flocks, and they are happy to answer any posts of questions. Here is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by