Stumped

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sylverfly, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    This hen has me stumped. She is from a group of hens I just bought. She looks similar to the leghorns but not exactly. She has no tail I'm not sure if that's natural or if she just lost her tail feathers at some point. She has a blue ear like a Silkie but not quite as dark but she has none of the Silkie mix traits I'm used to seeing. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

some kind of mix mutt maybe? good luck.....interesting to see what color eggs she will lay

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    she has a tail, its just missing the feathers right now. As for her ear lobe color, as the chick turns into the hen the ear lobe develops its color and sometimes they will look blueish in color before they finally become white. Shes looking like a pretty well fed young leghorn.

4. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She is a White Leghorn, too. Her tail feathers have just been pulled out/fallen out naturally. The bluish tint to her earlobe is common in young white ear-lobed birds; it will become whiter as she ages.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    x3

7. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with all.

8. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    thanks, I didn't know the ear could look blue before it turns white, interesting. And the fact that she's a little chunker with a missing tail just threw me off I guess, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by