Stumpy tail feathers = Roo??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eulou, May 28, 2011.

1. eulou

eulou New Egg

Apr 1, 2011
    I currently have 5 baby chicks that are just a little over two weeks old. They were all supposed to be pullets. All of them are growing nice straight tail feathers about 2" long, except for the speckled sussex which has barely grown a tail at all. Is this a sure sign that it's a Roo? I will be so disappointed as I had been wanting a speckled sussex the most!

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. KaneMoa

KaneMoa Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Less tail feathers means its probably a pullet.

3. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I am interested in the answer to this, too! I have three 2 week old Speckled Sussex chicks that came from the pullet bin at the feed store. One is a little smaller than the other two and has smaller tail feathers. I'm hoping that all three are pullets!

4. mrchicken

mrchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Speckled Sussexes have less tail growth.
    I think that she is a pullet.

5. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Some breeds do not mature as fast as others, Depends on the breed.

6. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    cockerals slower to feather.....

7. AlleysScrambledFarm

AlleysScrambledFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    How about Buff Orps? Mine are 5 weeks. One has a more pinker crown and developed its little hanging side flaps on chin. The others do not have quite the red color in theres and not side chin flaps yet. As for feathers its a difficult call in determining difference in them. The one that is redder also has thicker hawks but no sign of spurs. Any ideas? [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My SS grew a tail very quickly just like the others. I'm assuming you may have a roo.

9. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    With many breeds of chickens the males feather in slower than the females, but not all. And as others have mentioned some breeds feather in slower in general than others.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I hatched one batch of SS chicks. Six cockerels and two pullets. Both pullets had long tails, leaner bodies. Males had lots of white in the chest area, very round bodies and super stumpy tails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by