Stumpy tail feathers = Roo??

eulou

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
I currently have 5 baby chicks that are just a little over two weeks old. They were all supposed to be pullets. All of them are growing nice straight tail feathers about 2" long, except for the speckled sussex which has barely grown a tail at all. Is this a sure sign that it's a Roo? I will be so disappointed as I had been wanting a speckled sussex the most!

Last edited:

PetRock

Crowing
Apr 28, 2010
Camino, CA
I am interested in the answer to this, too! I have three 2 week old Speckled Sussex chicks that came from the pullet bin at the feed store. One is a little smaller than the other two and has smaller tail feathers. I'm hoping that all three are pullets!

AlleysScrambledFarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 28, 2011
How about Buff Orps? Mine are 5 weeks. One has a more pinker crown and developed its little hanging side flaps on chin. The others do not have quite the red color in theres and not side chin flaps yet. As for feathers its a difficult call in determining difference in them. The one that is redder also has thicker hawks but no sign of spurs. Any ideas?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
My SS grew a tail very quickly just like the others. I'm assuming you may have a roo.

cmfarm

Crowing
May 3, 2010
Elgin, TX
With many breeds of chickens the males feather in slower than the females, but not all. And as others have mentioned some breeds feather in slower in general than others.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I hatched one batch of SS chicks. Six cockerels and two pullets. Both pullets had long tails, leaner bodies. Males had lots of white in the chest area, very round bodies and super stumpy tails.

Top Bottom