Stunners for quail dispatching

Brett holley

Hatching
Apr 4, 2022
Quail stunners for dispatching quail. I know the standard methods like garden shears, decapitation, pulling heads off etc. Anyone used a stunner?

Never tried them myself…..the heads pop off so easily I feel that’s the most humane way of dispatching as very little to go wrong and there’s no investment in special equipment Yes, shears can be less messy and cervical dislocation has its benefits for selling to falconers etc.

Thanks for the reply.
It seems that's the most popular method by far but I just feel that a stunner would in some way be more humane. Am willing to invest in one to just experiment and see how well it may work.

Thanks for the reply.
It seems that's the most popular method by far but I just feel that a stunner would in some way be more humane. Am willing to invest in one to just experiment and see how well it may work.
Would definitely be interested in following your experience with this :pop

I have used a stunner on quail but went back to just chopping with pipe cutters. I always use the stunner on chickens but with quail I find it harder to get good aim. I feel like humaneness gained from the stunner with them is offset by it taking longer. That said if I had a stunner that was smaller and quail specific maybe it would be different. I have the one from bunnyrancher.com.

The only thing about stunners is if you get the voltage too high you will get excessive blood in the breast meat, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just make sure you aren't the one getting stunned. The heart can be deregulated by current in the milliamp range, so a word of caution is in order.

Back
Top Bottom