stup*d Goats keep messing up my coops!!!!

Who actually owns the farm? I would suggest putting up a solar powered electric fence that's is high enough that a chicken to go under but not a goat . If you can't afford that put up a inner door on the coops using weld wire with a hole just big enough for a chicken to get through.

Finally a predator question I can help with. Well somewhat. She needs to keep her goats in their pen. And if she is walking them than she needs to keep them undercontrol. Fencing around your coops and runs will help some. You can put a hotwire on it. But goats are fantastic escape artists. I know I have 5. As for them smashing you. Get a spray bottle or water gun and fill with water and spray them. Goats hate water.
When you spray them tell them no. They will learn. Good luck.

Quote:
If a chicken can go under it, so can a goat. They are simply the most talented escape artists and contortionists I've ever seen. They are also very destructive and will break weld wire. I have first hand knowledge of this because you would think that 2"x4" grate, 6' high weld wire would be sufficient to keep these four legged wrecking balls contained. Nope! There are places where my goats have literally torn holes in the middle of the fence. I'm in the process now of running 4 strands of electric inside the fence in the hopes that that will deter their escape efforts.

Still, that is no excuse for your co-farmer's attitude. She is still responsible for the damage her animals do to your property. Plus, gorging on chicken feed is not healthy for the goats. Gorging on any feed is not healthy for the goats. Maybe you could approach it from that avenue as well. And yes, water is a great deterrent for them. I had some that used to literally climb the fence to get to the grain on the milk stand while I was milking. A couple sprays from the hose stopped that really quick and in a hurry. Hehehe.

The OP never answered JD4570's question as to who owned the property. If it's rented between the OP and other person then measures are called for,mainly asking the property owner to have a talk with the co-farmer and remind them of their responsibility to keep the goats controlled.

If the OP owns the farm them they should "lay down the law" to the other party about the goats....with no excuses and hand them a bill for damages/lost feed and eggs.

BUT.....if the co-farmer is the property owner...the OP has little recourse. Moving or learning to live with the goats running helter-skelter are their only options.

Before any of us can or should give advice the question of property ownership really needs to be answered because it makes one HECK of a difference in who is right.

Last edited:
I am beginning to be glad I didn't get that goat I wanted....

If the goat owner owns the farm, chicken fencing is required... Otherwise, it is the goat owner's responsibility to contain their goat.
And I am so glad I stopped with chickens.

Gypsi

Quote:
Goat is *delicious*! Tell her, nice and quiet, like she wants, that you know how to prepare goat for supper! (Really. This should be said if she's such a nimrod to say things like that to you as you lose your eggs and get hurt by the beasts)

Seriously, if you've been butted by this thing whilst gathering eggs and are losing eggs and are fearing being outside and all the other things, the law should be involved *right now*. If the thing is over at your place at 2 o'clock in the morning, call the law and make them wake her up to tell her she's going to be fined and next time you get to keep and eat the goat.

Man, this and having just read this sure makes me thankful for having good neighbors. Except the doorbell-ditching teenagers
smack.gif
( swear, its once a week or more). Oh, and the mean guy with the vicious pit bulls.
hide.gif
But he's down the street. But we're on great terms with the neighbors on the coop side. She even drew a chicken on the note she left the other day. At least I think it was supposed to be a chick...
roll.png

we have separate houses, and we both pay half rent on the property from the owner.

Back
Top Bottom