Stupid Goat Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SterlingAcres, Nov 16, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Can lactose intolerant people drink goat's milk? A friend asked me and I'm not 100% certain on that.

2. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Thats not a stupid question at all!! [​IMG]
    Umm I truly have no idea!! [​IMG]
    I think so.. [​IMG]
    maybe not... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    I thought you had a question about a stupid goat!!!

4. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Lactose intolerance, allergies and goat milk:

Goat milk, like cows milk and human milk, contain lactose, but many people (but not all) with lactose intolerance and cow milk allergies can drink goats milk. Why? It is because of goat milks superior digestibility. Goat milk is more completely and easily absorbed than cows milk leaving less residue behind in the colon where it can literally ferment and cause problems. The digestibility of goat milk can be attributed to it's casin curd, which is both softer and smaller, thus easy to digest. Another big difference between cow and goat milk is found that the average goat milk fat globule is about 1 1/2 to two microns compared to cow at 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 microns another factor in ease of digestion. Goat milk contains more essential fatty acids (linoleic & archidoic acids) and higher proportion of short chain and medium chainfatty acids than cows milk. The fat can be more readily digested and absorbed because lipases attack ester linkages of these fatty acids more readily than those of longer chains (cow) And unlike cows milk, goat milk does not contain agglutinin; as a result the fat globules in goat milk do not cluster, again allowing the ease of digestion and absorption. (6)

I have used goats milk with babies that were sick from cow's milk or formular milk, and ithas worked fine. I am no expert so I looked it up, and this was the best answer I found.

I hope it is useful. It has worked for me, and for others I know of, and they have come along wonderfully.

Jena.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I am highly lactose intolerant to cows milk and ice cream.

I love our goats milk and have never been negatively affected by drinking it. So, yes, at least some people (like me) can drink goats milk and have no problems.

6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Also as you read the Bible does it ever say drink cows milk it talks about goats milk only...I get diareha from cows milk but not from goats milk and I cook with it and rink it all the time...I love it and have had better health since drinking it also. All I can say is try it and see...

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Raw milk is not equal to pasturized milk. No way. No how.

Cow/goat/sheep has natural enzymes that make it super easy to digest. Pasturizing the milk changes the protein structure and kills off all the healthy bacteria. This is why so many people cannot tolerate commercial milk. It was once VERY rare for people to not be able to tolerate milk - like in times before milk was routinely pasturized.

We drink 100% raw, fresh jersey cow milk and our own goats milk. I make all of our dairy products (sour cream, yogurt, cheese, butter, buttermilk, cream, cottage cheese, etc). There is nothing in the grocery store, not even organic milk, that can begin to even touch raw milk.

8. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Fr the Sci-Tech Encyclopedia:

Pasteurization of milk has successfully eliminated the spread of diseases such as diphtheria, tuberculosis, and brucellosis through contaminated milk.

This is the reason commercial milk is required to be pasteurized. Yes, it does make the milk harder to digest. But the number of childhood deaths due to diphtheria took a dramatic drop when the regulations went into effect in the early 20th century. Ditto TB in the general population. Because these diseases are now under such good control, we can individually ignore the pasteurization process with our own home-raised milk without much concern. But it wasn't always like that. At the time they were instituted, those regulations saved a LOT of lives.

Just thought you'd like to know why commercial milk is still pasteurized.

[​IMG]

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Okay, second question.

What if said lactose intolerant person is under 2? Should you pasteurize it? Would that even work?

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you pasturize it you are making the same as commercial milk.

Under 2 should not drink raw milk is a health warning often issued. the same thing is said about raw honey.

I cannot tell you what to do.

My 2 yr old drinks raw milk. From our goats and the cow's milk we get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by