Stupid Hawk! (vent)

4F FARM

Songster
12 Years
Jan 7, 2008
North Idaho
As usual my big girls were free ranging in the only place without snow. Right outside my patio window. It was a pretty nice day so I thought I will put the 5 week olds out in the sun shine. I set up a play pen area right against the house. Mind you not 3 feet from the slider I am sewing at. The chicks were having a blast for about an hour. Then I hear them making a thunder of racket. I jumped up and put on my shoes assuming it was the big girls picking on them through the fence. But NO. A hawk had grabbed one of the little ones. I hollered and it dropped it, but it was already dead. Needless to say, I scooped the other ones up and put them back in the brooder.

I can't blame anyone but myself for not covering the playpen, but I assumed they were safe right near the door. I know food is scarace with 2 1/2 feet of snow still on the ground so I can't blame the hawk. I'm just sad I lost a little one, but I love the hawks so I'm torn knowing it had a decent meal.

Thanks. I needed to vent that out of my system.

Faye

I put my babies out for sun in an old playpen turned upside down, OR I also use my old bunny cage, no hawks can infiltrate it!!! if you do put them in anything just put something over the top, even if it is just a blanket!!! I love hawks too, but not when they are making meals of my little chickies!!

I'm sorry you lost that chick to the hawk. it gets perturbing sometimes, with all the other things the hawks could eat and they go after your babies.
barnie.gif

I am so sorry about your chick!

I guess I am REALLY lucky. The red tails nest about 1/4 mile away from the house (I can see the nests up in the trees) and fly over my yard all the time. But I have NEVER lost a chick or a kitten to the hawks! (Great Horned owls and racoons are another story...) Maybe we have enough bunnies and prarie dogs to keep them happy?

Back
Top Bottom