Stupid Hawks

Hi,
This summer I got pilgrim geese. Usually we lose birds to hawks and foxes despite penning them all in and always having at least one rooster. So far no losses yet. The geese make a minor fuss about anything of note and major fusses about scary things like foxes, cats, and hawks. They don't fight anything, in fact they're terrified, but I think all the flapping and chatter from big birds is just enough to unsettle would be killers. We'll see if that holds out through hungry winter and the next hawk migration. Geese aren't for everyone, but so far I see their worth. Lots of character too.

Yes, it's very normal for chickens to hide, even up to a couple hours, after a hawk attack. we found that using scarecrows (even very crude ones :) ) or pinwheels deter hawks from your coop.
I have never met a hawk that ate a chicken on spot. but our nest of resident hawks (very considerate in eating all our rabbits, groundhogs, and squirrels) kill their food and come back for it when the coast is clear.

That doesn't make me like hawks, but I guess they may be a little better than I was giving them credit for.

First, I am so sorry for your loss!! Losing a chicken is no fun!
The problem with hawks is that they are a protected species. It is illegal to shoot them. We have problems with hawks here, as well, so all I can do is give you my two cents worth and wish you the very best of luck with your chooks. The first thing is to have a lot of hiding places - shrubs, low trees, etc. If you don't have natural protection, you may have to construct some. Folks use pallets or other structures to create hiding spots.
Depending upon the size of the lot, some have successfully used orchard netting overhead. I have one run with very little cover, so I have netted it. So far, so good.
I also went through a phase of stringing fishing line all across the more exposed areas on our land. The jury is out on how effective that really was.
The best protection, besides good cover for them, is having a good rooster. It sounds like you had one, because he got his girls to cover and then sacrificed himself for them. We had a lot of hawk activity here, today. Every time I heard a ruckus outside, I would go see what was what. Every time, the girls were all hidden and the boys (with one exception - he's a scaredy roo) were standing on the edge of the shrubs and trees crowing for all their worth. I don't know how many hens you have, but if you have 10 or more, you might want to have more than one rooster - they really do help. :)

Kristoff sounds like a roosters name, but she was a hen. That's because we have a 3yr old girl whose obsessed with Frozen picking out our names. Actually, my rooster had run off to the other side of our property. I am assuming he is a scaredy roo as well.

We have about 4 acres behind our house where the chickens can free range. It is mostly covered with fairly thick underbrush. So much so that it was actually very hard to find them today. I am assuming that the thick undergrowth is what prevents them from dying more often. Still, I loose them every now and then. I may start thinking about a run, but they seem to enjoying roaming such a big area that any sort of run I would do would be extremely confining by comparison.

Kristoff sounds like a roosters name, but she was a hen. That's because we have a 3yr old girl whose obsessed with Frozen picking out our names. Actually, my rooster had run off to the other side of our property. I am assuming he is a scaredy roo as well.

We have about 4 acres behind our house where the chickens can free range. It is mostly covered with fairly thick underbrush. So much so that it was actually very hard to find them today. I am assuming that the thick undergrowth is what prevents them from dying more often. Still, I loose them every now and then. I may start thinking about a run, but they seem to enjoying roaming such a big area that any sort of run I would do would be extremely confining by comparison.
Yeah, I am definitely pro free range, even with the consequences. Because I have 5 breeding pens, I have to alternate who is out and when; but they absolutely prefer to be out.
It might be time to think about adding a roo to your flock. If he's a scaredy roo, a hen will often take it upon herself to sound the alarm and protect the flock. My freakish roo drives me crazy because he will push hens out of the way to hide his enormous Bielefelder self. My best roos have been my Ayam Cemani (even when he's out in the bachelor pad, he protects the other roosters!) and Cream Legbar. But, we have also had some awesome mixed breeds that have been hyper vigilant as well.
We hate hawks too. Although raccoons are right up there!!

Due to hawks mine are confined unless I can be out with them. I had as hawk try to take a Delaware. I had stepped into my shop and within seconds I saw it bank around the apple tree. Literally it was seconds after I stepped into the shop.

I feel your pain. They are happier if out and about but safer if penned.

Roosters experience having to make the flight or fight decision. Most will flee. They do give a warning call and get hens to cover if they can but most will not take on a predator.

Maybe a chicken tractor would help. I am not thinking a small little A-frame but a larger one. I know a cage is still a cage.
::: sigh :::

Last edited:
Yeah, I am definitely pro free range, even with the consequences. Because I have 5 breeding pens, I have to alternate who is out and when; but they absolutely prefer to be out.
It might be time to think about adding a roo to your flock. If he's a scaredy roo, a hen will often take it upon herself to sound the alarm and protect the flock. My freakish roo drives me crazy because he will push hens out of the way to hide his enormous Bielefelder self. My best roos have been my Ayam Cemani (even when he's out in the bachelor pad, he protects the other roosters!) and Cream Legbar. But, we have also had some awesome mixed breeds that have been hyper vigilant as well.
We hate hawks too. Although raccoons are right up there!!

That is my next project. I am planning on hatching a few eggs out of a borrowed incubator next month. But my real desire is to set up some breeding pins. Do you have any picture or recommendations on forums or articles on how to set up breeding pens?

Also, I just read your signatures. I love them both. But that is the first time I have ever read the quote about perseverance and the first time I have Newt referred to by his more formal given name. Fun!

That is my next project. I am planning on hatching a few eggs out of a borrowed incubator next month. But my real desire is to set up some breeding pins. Do you have any picture or recommendations on forums or articles on how to set up breeding pens?
I have been very fortunate to have found some folks here on BYC who have pretty much held my hand through the entire process. I have a fairly large "back yard", so was able to make 5 large runs (welded wire completely, included buried into the ground) with open-type coops. (I'm in California - weather is pretty mild for the most part). I hatched and hatched and hatched until I felt like I finally had some nice unrelated stock with which to work (you have to hatch a lot of birds, even from folks with show quality stock) to get good birds. Then I put all the roosters "away" for a month - in the bachelor pad run, until the girls' eggs checked out as infertile. This was a scary time for us with the hawk issues, because the best the boys could do was issue a warning from way at the back of the property. Eventually they all moved in to their own breed-specific homes where they reside to this day. As I said earlier, I rotate their free range days. I have a fence that separates two free range areas, so basically every other day or so, they get to go out.
Glad to answer any other questions you might have, or refer you to folks who can help!

Last edited:
What a waste!!! Other than shooting the hawk, are there any strategies for trapping or eliminating him?
Shooting and trapping =
1180479-892785cfcc117748648cdd066aef7199.jpg.gif

Covered run =
1165822-b7fa878622c87676d7747bb664559ca3.jpg.gif

1180407-0b3d7dfa938efedd60d3c050216eeba7.jpg.gif

I have been very fortunate to have found some folks here on BYC who have pretty much held my hand through the entire process. In have a fairly large "back yard", so was able to make three 5 large runs (welded wire completely, included buried into the ground) with open-type coops. (I'm in California - weather is pretty mild for the most part). I hatched and hatched and hatched until I felt like I finally had some nice unrelated stock with which to work (you have to hatch a lot of birds, even from folks with show quality stock) to get good birds. Then I put all the roosters "away" for a month - in the bachelor pad run, until the girls' eggs checked out as infertile. This was a scary time for us with the hawk issues, because the best the boys could do was issue a warning from way at the back of the property. Eventually they all moved in to their own breed-specific homes where they reside to this day. As I said earlier, I rotate their free range days. I have a fence that separates two free range areas, so basically every other day or so, they get to go out.
Glad to answer any other questions you might have, or refer you to folks who can help!

I'm in Florida so I do an open style coop as well. So, building wise, did you basically just build a pen for each breed plus a separate bachelor pad pen? How large are your runs?

Back
Top Bottom