Stupid, Mean Rooster! How Do I Stop This Overbreeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this meat chicken and he overbreeds his hens. Two of them got slashes and I can't do anything. My dad refuses to bring to the slaughterhouse and refuses to allow them to get killed. For real though, they are over one years old! :rant (What I dream of -> Me ->:smack<-Dad)
What do I do to prevent the roo from mating with the hens or at least preventing his claws from slashing into the hen when he slides off? I can't put them in a different area, I can't kill him, and I can't fix him. Can I put something on his legs to slow his speed, allowing the hens to run away? Tie his tail into a certain position to prevent him doing "the kiss" and thus discouraging him to breed? Punish him everytime he mates? (<- that one is kinda crazy) Lock him out of the coop for a bit, and then letting him in at night? What do I do? I can't bear the hens getting worse. I also spray their wounds with animal friendly, sting free disinfectant but it can't solve everything. I also put aprons on the hen, but he would tug them off and jump onto them. I need help!
You can trim his spurs. When he is on the roost for the evening. Pick him up and trim the sharp point off of his spurs. I used a dog nail clipper on mine. That way his spurs won't dig into the hens.

I have this meat chicken and he overbreeds his hens. Two of them got slashes and I can't do anything. My dad refuses to bring to the slaughterhouse and refuses to allow them to get killed. For real though, they are over one years old! :rant (What I dream of -> Me ->:smack<-Dad)
What do I do to prevent the roo from mating with the hens or at least preventing his claws from slashing into the hen when he slides off? I can't put them in a different area, I can't kill him, and I can't fix him. Can I put something on his legs to slow his speed, allowing the hens to run away? Tie his tail into a certain position to prevent him doing "the kiss" and thus discouraging him to breed? Punish him everytime he mates? (<- that one is kinda crazy) Lock him out of the coop for a bit, and then letting him in at night? What do I do? I can't bear the hens getting worse. I also spray their wounds with animal friendly, sting free disinfectant but it can't solve everything. I also put aprons on the hen, but he would tug them off and jump onto them. I need help!
Hi there im in northern maine myself. You would have to isolate them, you cann treat the hens with neosporin, but nothing will get better without the roo gone or hens separated.

I didn't even know you can take a chicken to a slaughter house. I've only ever taken cattle. That aside, the only option that may work is like you said, lock him out of the coop. I once made some hen saddles (can also buy them) that a huge rooster did not pull off, but that may not be feasible for you. Sounds like this is more of an issue between you and your dad.

That’s ones easy just his feet together! Just enough rope so he stands normally. Not to tight and just Check the rope every once and again. Done ! Next!

You can trim his spurs. When he is on the roost for the evening. Pick him up and trim the sharp point off of his spurs. I used a dog nail clipper on mine. That way his spurs won't dig into the hens.
I have been reading your story and we had similar problems. Not all roosters are that way. Tame breeds like Orpington are gentle. First you need at least 6 hens per rooster. Unfortunately there is nothing to help a bad rooster. Your father was right to kill him because that rooster could have got your eye. And it would never stop what he was doing as long as it was alive sadly.

My God that sounds like an awful lot of work because you can't get rid of a rooster. I sold my last rooster for $20 because of the reasons you described. He wasn't any nicer to me, either.
I don't know how old you are, but you might have to go against Dad's wishes. Or...
Maybe it could disappear in the night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom