1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

stupid newbe scares and funny questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tammye, May 3, 2011.

1. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I laugh now when I read some threads like "what is that tumor on my hens chest" that would be the crop, The first time I saw that I was like OMG she is going to die. could be fun to start a thread on what freaked you out when you first got chickens.

This was my dumbest self question, thank god some one else asked it so I did not have to: The first time I saw the "oil gland" I thought it might be their clitorus!!! now you know where my mind is.

2. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    It freaked me out that a chicken would eat a long piece of grass and then part of it would hang out their beak, then another chicken would come along and pull the whole 6 inches back out of the other chicken's beak. And it would be completely still there as a long piece of grass. And then chicken #2 would eat it.

3. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    The first time I experienced a prolapsed vent I thought we'd both die a horrible death! She recovered very quickly..I'm still throwing up and having nightmares! JK, but what a ride!

4. Endur50

Endur50 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm still a newbie, but I can't believe I denied for months that I had 4 roosters instead of 4 pullets. "It's crowing and mounting but I KNOW it's a hen. It LOOKS like a hen. Why don't we have any eggs yet?" After a couple of trading sessions, we ended up with 6 hens, but still a rooster snuck his way in. (I should have known by now!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by