Stupid qestion

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken crazed 1o1, Jun 2, 2011.

1. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    I was just wondering if for extra calcium you can give hens instead of Water well... Milk . [​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have heard of people putting powdered milk in their feed, but no I would give them water. First milk in the heat would spoil very fast, second they need water at all times.

3. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    I read somewhere recently that chickens have a hard time digesting lactose. Perhaps the lactose free milk in just a small container that they would drink quickly?

4. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    Oh. And there are no stupid questions! [​IMG]

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    my ghickens LOVE yogurt.. it has the extra calcum and has all those great tummy benifits.
    right now they are getting Greek strained yogurt plain... i usually get a big spoonfull and they jsut take big bites of it right off the spoon..

)O(
    pink

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Mine like to lay their beaks into the yogurt on the side and work on it nonstop. They look like little machines as they drain a bowl down.

7. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    How soon should you start giving them yogurt, and well... any food other than chick crumbles?

8. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    Ok is their a certain kind a yogurt you feed them or any kind . And thank you for helping me out with the qestion you guys.

9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    my leghorns liked it right away by the mouth fulls. the others liked it mixed with their stARTER FOOD. their first goodies i gave at 4 weeks and it wsnt really special i wouldmake them wet mash of their food and feed by hand got them to trust my ggodies b hand and they think its special.. i sstayed with easy on the tummy foods to start. rice, noodles and yogurt
    )O(
    Pink

10. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    anykind of yogurt Plain is preferable (I GIVE MY GIRLS BLUEBERRY). they love cottage cheese, cheese too.
    I would say about 8 weeks is not too early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by