Stupid Question #2349: Nesting boxes

JerryO

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Ocala, Florida
I think I already know the answer but I might as well look like a fool and ask, do you need one nesting box per chicken or will they share boxes?

You do not state what breed of birds you have...
I have silkies...they do not roost and like to sleep all piled together (even when it is hot)...

I have 10 girls and 12 nesting boxes but at least half of them never get used. They like to share. One girl will lay and then get down and another jumps in a lays an egg right beside the one that's already there.
I have standard cochins and 2 JG.

Jacie

three to four hens can share one nest. It appears they all tend to like the same nests. lol So no need to go overboard with nests from what I have gathered on this site and those doing this for some time.

One box to 4 hens is about right.
It's interesting to observe their nestbox preference.
At times, certain boxes are popular and others are practically ignored. Then a few weeks later, the opposite it true.
Usage seems to cycle back and forth, and over a years time I'd bet it just about evens out.

spot

We had around 40 hens and 12 nest boxes. The stupid girls only used 4 of them. There was a line waiting to get in and then we usually had them sitting on top of each other and squaking. We had barred rocks and buff orpingtons at the time.

Eventually, the buffs got better about venturing into other boxes. The silkies use 4 nest boxes that are low to the ground.....well, sometimes......other times they are just under the ramp going into the barn or dropped on the ground in the garden!

Yep, about four birds per box. Then keep a golf ball in each one to encourage them to not cram all their eggs in one basket, so to speak. It's instinct for them to all lay in one spot then whoever gets the short straw has to sit on the eggs until they hatch while the others keep running amok. So if they see more than one golf ball they'll won't know which is the spot of the day.

Back
Top Bottom