stupid question about a cow

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Godsgrl, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Okay, the things that cross your mind when you're on a road trip. Please don't laugh at me, but here goes. Can a cow roll? I've seen horses roll quite often, and they seem to really enjoy doing this. But I've NEVER seen a cow do it. Are they physically unable to? Thank you, and please, no laughing. [​IMG]

Let me clarify a bit here on what I mean. You know how horses roll on their backs to get an itch, or whatever? That is what I have never witnessed a cow do. thanks!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Hmmm...don't know. I had to take a peek at your question though because I wanted to know whether your title was referring to a stupid cow or a stupid question...lol. Hope a cattle person gives you your answer...

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I have never thought about it but you are right...I have never seen a cow rolling either. Hmmmmm....what's up with that?

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Curious question. From Wiki answer:

No. Their guts are more liable to twist if they roll over, plus the way they are built does not permit them the ease of rolling over like dogs or cats are.

Imp​

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    A cow can not roll over but a buffalo can.

6. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Quote:That was exactly what I was wondering!

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:That was exactly what I was wondering!

Okay, I've changed the wording on my title, sorry it was confusing. [​IMG] Apparently, it wasn't such a stupid question after all. Interesting that a buffalo can roll though. Thanks for the information. [​IMG]

8. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    no it is very difficult for a cow to roll. if a cow has a itchy back they either find a tree to scratch or use their tongues. i think its the way their body is shaped. im a dairy farmer in nz & ive had to try physically to roll a sick cow over ( if the cow cant stand on its own & lays on 1 side 2 long the side its lying on goes to sleep so to speak ) & its not easy to move a cow.

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Okay, thank you. I have definitely seen them rub on things, and those longhorns have built-in scratchers. Very interesting.

10. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    They make cattle scratches.....it is a big roll they can go under and the rope scratches their back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by