Stupid Question about Cream Legbar

Lilalienangel

Songster
Aug 28, 2019
One of my girls just hatched a cream legbar egg. Honestly it is amazing it did hatch. I started out with 11 eggs that took two weeks just to get here! Every one of them had detached air cells. 2 eggs made it to hatch but one died. He hatched with blood in its eye and its tounge still mostly fused to the top of his mouth. He was an obvious boy. I think (and am really hoping) that my remaining chick is a girl. This is my first cream legbar experience. There is a little dot that makes me question her sex. Is this a little girl?? Thank you
20200805_093735-1-1.jpg
20200805_125750-1.jpg
20200805_093735-1-1.jpg
20200805_125750-1.jpg

I agree that your little one looks like a boy... but my understanding is that some lines of legbars aren’t always that great for the autosexing down colors, so maybe it’s just that - some girls can have a spot but it’s supposedly always contained in the stripe, unlike the boy’s lighter, less sharp markings that bleed into each other.
Below I’ve attached a picture of my golden crele Legbar pullet as a day old... you can see how dark she is, with no spot on her head.
82D224D3-FE8C-4225-BF4A-4E27B2159F1B.jpeg

I agree that your little one looks like a boy... but my understanding is that some lines of legbars aren’t always that great for the autosexing down colors, so maybe it’s just that - some girls can have a spot but it’s supposedly always contained in the stripe, unlike the boy’s lighter, less sharp markings that bleed into each other.
Below I’ve attached a picture of my golden crele Legbar pullet as a day old... you can see how dark she is, with no spot on her head. View attachment 2280524

Thank you very much. That baby is gorgeous. I would guess looking at it you know what you are doing. Ours all trial and error for me right now. Next time I have a better idea of what to look for when selecting eggs to buy. I'll need to see a picture of hatched chicks. A good breeder will probably already have pics I'm sure.

Thank you very much. That baby is gorgeous. I would guess looking at it you know what you are doing. Ours all trial and error for me right now. Next time I have a better idea of what to look for when selecting eggs to buy. I'll need to see a picture of hatched chicks. A good breeder will probably already have pics I'm sure.
I’ve actually only hatched out a few of them, but the difference in this particular family line is very clear. The males are very light, and have a very diluted chipmunk look to them, almost peachy, with the obvious dot on their heads. If you do a quick google search though, you’ll see that many others aren’t as obvious. :) any chance you can reach out to the seller and confirm with them? They might have a better idea as to how their own birds generally look at hatch. 👍

Back
Top Bottom