Stupid question about poo

Jose21

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Sorry to ask such a stupid question - but my 10 week olds are currently in a 9ft run on grass, which we move every 2 weeks. My question is - should I be doing anything about the poo which collects on the grass? The chickens walk in it, and through it, which does not seem hygienic to me.....
In Sept they will have an area in which to range, which is much bigger than the current run.

Well, if you planned on using the chicks' feet as forks to eat something, that would be pretty unhygenic, indeed. But worrying about chicks walking on grass where they've relieved themselves? Normal behavior. It's not like they poop like dogs or cows or anything and are walking back and forth in mounds of feces.

Bet when you aren't looking, robins and finches and maybe even hummingbirds have pooped on your lawn.

tongue.png

my 7 Buff Orp babies (7 wk old) are out in a very green grass double ex pen morning and evening. As soon as I put them back in their little ex pen I take the water hose and hose all the little piles down in the grass. Otherwise what a mess it would be.
I have to keep the grass wet to keep them cool.

pam in TX

Back
Top Bottom