stupid question but will pekins & cayuga interbreed?

ChickenWendy

Songster
12 Years
Dec 3, 2007
Chesapeake, Virginia
I have 2 male cayugas & 1 female pekin. they have been raised together since being ducklings. i was wondering if i could expect some fertile eggs. so far - no.
my friend who has 2 cayugas - 1 male/1 female & 1 female pekin gave me some of her eggs - all of hers are the same age as mine & were raised together also.
we decided to incubate these eggs from both of our pens. well out of the ones that the pekin females laid - none are fertile.
all of the pure cayuga eggs are fertile.

is this normal or can i hope that the cayuga males will mate with the pekins??
and if they actually do produce would the product of those matings be "mules"?

thanks.

yes the 2 will breed together, the boys arnt picky on who they mate with. i would expect them all to be mutts since they are from 2 diff. bloodlines;)

they will be mutts, but not mules.... they will mate and fertility will be much higher if they have a pond or kissie pool that is at least 6 in of water to mate in.

How old are your ducks and what is their physical condition? If they have recently started laying that could be your problem, sometimes first eggs just aren't fertile. If your girls are over weight that could also be the problem, the fertility can be compromised on overweight hens.

all of these ducks - mine & my friends' are all roughly 8 months old. they all started laying eggs about a month and a half ago. i have no problem with them being "mutts". i just found it interesting that none of the pekin females' eggs were fertile - NONE!! but all of the cayugas were. i dont think any of the females are overweight. i think maybe since it's winter we dont have a kiddie pool out for them, that might help. they have a rather large tub of water for them to dunk their heads in but not swim in yet. i have done that from spring to fall for previous ducks and i am planning on bringing out the kiddie pool in April.
thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom