1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

stupid question from a newbie....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by guenther, Jun 10, 2011.

1. guenther

guenther New Egg

Apr 4, 2011
    Do chickens pant in hot weather?

I ask because my chickens are panting and I think it could be just an issue of needing more fresh water - but my wife is panicing that it might be gapeworm.

any help?

thnks in advance....

guenther

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Yes they do. Mine have been lounging about in the shade with their mouths open the last few days.

3. Skye_k23

Skye_k23 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Northern New Mexico
    yes chickens pant when they are hot. We fill empty milk jugs with water and freeze them. Chickens will sit next to it if they get too hot.
    Brook

4. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    I flipped out when I first saw that a couple of days ago with my chickens in this high heat. They also held their wings off their bodies presumably to help cool them off. We put a fan on them from outside the run blowing in yesterday. They all stood in front of it at one point and it reduced the panting a lot.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Do you have a picture of the hens in front of the fan?

Mine pant too. Good idea about the ice jugs! I will do that for the shed.Hot in their house!

6. guenther

guenther New Egg

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for the help. My wife is a worrier and I am generally more cautious, but I was really hoping I was right - especially after I convinced her I was.......[​IMG]

The jugs are a great idea, I may have to try that.....

7. ChickenAl

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:I wish I did have a camera at that moment. I just got home from work and looked out the window to check on them and saw them looking into the fan as if it was a TV. Cute as anything.

8. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Yes, they pant and I hate to see it.......We put in a thermostatically controlled vent fan.[​IMG]. Makes a nice breeze for them and makes me feel better for them. I told my husband they probably need a flat screen for movies to, but he hasn't done that yet. Probably over kill, but they love it, I love it and everyone is happy. Purchased from Lowes, around 50.00 dollars, set to kick on at 85 degrees. We also have those vents around the bottom edge of the coop that automatically open when it is hot. Yes, I have spoiled chickens.......

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  9. ChickenAl

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Wow, that is a nice fan. Might have to do that at one point. Definitely provides plenty of ventilation. So, when's the flat screen coming in so I can send ours over for a play date?

Spoiling the ladies is never a bad thing. Look at all the joy they provide.

10. barefootfarmers

barefootfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Our girls pant like dogs. We have an oscillating fan in the coop and we make sure there is always dirt in the outside coop for them to cool off in. They will dig and scratch and then cover themselves up and relax.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by