Stupid rooster and egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fleurdelisky, Mar 20, 2008.

1. fleurdelisky

fleurdelisky In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Ok, we got two pullets who were supposed to be Easter Egger hens and now one of them is crowing. Fine here, but my husband is a little "iffy" about eating eggs that may be fertilized. I was told that if you collect the eggs every day that there will be no difference in the taste, but I am not sure. Please help!
    Christi
    Mommy of 1 Black Australorp, 1 Silver-laced Wyandotte, 2 Blue Andalusians, 1 Red Star, 1 Ameracauna and 1 'who-knows-what'

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    tell your huband that you ARE RIGHT. fertilized or not there is no taste difference.

3. OHChick

OHChick Songster

May 8, 2007
    they don't taste any different. i have 1 roo and 26 hens... i'd say nearly all of mine are 'fertilized', but they taste the same.

i have only had 1 of alllllllllllllllll the ones i have gotten where i could see the bullseye speckledhen had photographed to show fertilized eggs.

just one warning, i would let him know (if he doesn't already) that the blood spot does not indicate that its a fertile egg. a lot of folks think that, and now THAT will freak you out if you aren't expecting it. [​IMG]

4. fleurdelisky

fleurdelisky In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Thanks for the info! I like the sound of the crowing. It gives our little farm a more authentic feel. Green acres I come.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: