Stympy feathers on tail

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Sandy springs Atlanta Georgia USA
When I went out to my chickens as morning I noticed that 2 of them had stumpy said there's on their tails that had no soft stuff it was just hard and it was cut down with experience might before but never like this and we do think that maybe a crack unit come over at night and just pluck the feathers out of them were not sure but Here is a photo
20201024_095243.jpg

Sorry here is a better version Of the message when I went out to this chickens this morning I realized that some of them had stumpy feathers on their tails we did not know if this was a raccoon or mites as we have experience with mites before. We are not sure if this hurts them are not as do you know I posted a photo up top and I would really appreciate it if somebody responded back to me telling me why the feathers feel like little tiny sticks.

I've never seen anything like that.

My best guess would be either someone trimmed them off( I know you mentioned a predator, but, they tend to grip onto the feathers hard and directly pull them from the base, still a possibility, I suppose). Or it could possibly be a nutritional issue which is causing the feathers to be depleted of nutrients and are breaking off due to brittleness, or maybe it's related to an ectoparasite infestation.

That brings up the few apparent questions, of what you're feeding them, have you checked them for mites/ or lice focusing around the vent area, have you had any problems with the birds fighting each other, or predator problems in your coop, and if you live in an area where kids or immature adults go into coops and trim off feathers for fun.

I've never seen anything like that.

My best guess would be either someone trimmed them off( I know you mentioned a predator, but, they tend to grip onto the feathers hard and directly pull them from the base, still a possibility, I suppose). Or it could possibly be a nutritional issue which is causing the feathers to be depleted of nutrients and are breaking off due to brittleness, or maybe it's related to an ectoparasite infestation.

That brings up the few apparent questions, of what you're feeding them, have you checked them for mites/ or lice focusing around the vent area, have you had any problems with the birds fighting each other, or predator problems in your coop, and if you live in an area where kids or immature adults go into coops and trim off feathers for fun.
No and do you think that the feathers could have been melted my the heat lamp

When I went out to my chickens as morning I noticed that 2 of them had stumpy said there's on their tails that had no soft stuff it was just hard and it was cut down with experience might before but never like this and we do think that maybe a crack unit come over at night and just pluck the feathers out of them were not sure but Here is a photoView attachment 2385234
Sorry here is a better version Of the message when I went out to this chickens this morning I realized that some of them had stumpy feathers on their tails we did not know if this was a raccoon or mites as we have experience with mites before. We are not sure if this hurts them are not as do you know I posted a photo up top and I would really appreciate it if somebody responded back to me telling me why the feathers feel like little tiny sticks.
No and do you think that the feathers could have been melted my the heat lamp
Show photos of both chickens - the damaged feathers and their whole body.

And for your information I feed them healthy harvest layer feed which includes real fruits and vegetables in the mix no pesticides and is non-GMO I also give them treats such as watermelon and in the summer and pumpkin sometimes in the fall. As you can see these chickens get very well fed.

Back
Top Bottom