1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Styrobator for Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rosco, Apr 11, 2011.

1. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    i've got a styrobator i've used to hatch quail. a buddy has a professional one, but i'd like to try this here first. He said hatching quail can be done with very loose parameters. i'm hoping this is true!

on this link: http://buycoturnixquail.com/coturnix-husbandry/

it
    doesn't list the parameters i can measure, Temp & %RH. i got 100F & 60%RH and stop turning at day 14.

If this is correct, let me know.

The second question i have is about the turning of the eggs. the link above says to turn them 180 degrees twice daily. this means that the people who have Automatic turners must bolt the eggs down.

What is the correct way to turn these quail eggs? i'm hoping 45-75 degrees.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    LOOSE PARAMETERS... UMM NO.

STILL AIR 100.5 / FORCED AIR 99.5 DEGREES FARENHIET AT THE TOP OF THE EGG.... HUMIDITY FOR INCUBATION 45-55%, LOCKDOWN (LAST 3 DAYS) 65+%. TURN THEM AS YOU SEE FIT... PERSONALLY EVERYTHING I HAVE USES AUTOTURNERS [​IMG]

3. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:thanks for the help! i'm still a little fuzzy on the turning bit.

to turn them as i see fit ____? this is my first time hatching quail so i guess i'm trying to find "my fit." lol. in the link i posted, it is said to turn the eggs at least twice a day and to turn them a full 180 degrees. this sounds a bit extreme.

i forgot to ask how these eggs are laid. on their sides or large end up? if there is a large end that is.

these are cortunix or pharoah quail. the description listed them as all different kinds. here is the link to the ebay add i ordered from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/35-Assorted-Pha...ryZ46532QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/35-Assorted-Pha...ryZ46532QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Yes A 180 Degree Turn Does Seem A Bit Drastic Doesnt It? Given All The Wild Info Some Post Out There It Doesnt Surprise Me Tho... If Hand Turning 1/4 To 1/3 Rotation About 2 To 3 Times A Day Should Be Sufficient And Less Drastic Than Completely Flipping Them Every 12 Hrs.

5. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:are they turned progressively to make a 180 degree flip? or is it back and forth. (-1/4 turn then +1/4 turn).

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    might not be the "right way" but when using my bator without the turner I just take my hand and roll the eggs I put a X or + on one side and an O on the other I never thought about it but I roll them 180*

7. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:okay, i think i'm getting close to understanding. if the "X" starts out on top in the morning where does it go throughout the day? is it turned all the way over and back up if it is turned twice a day? so this makes a full down then another full up turn?

i'll probably do this using cartons now that i'm thinking about this. i'll have to adjust the turner as it only was made to turn about 45 degrees between the up and down positions.

my friend said these were very easy to hatch. once, he said he forgot he had them in the incubator and didn't turn them. one day, he heard them all out of their shells. is this the usual experience? is this easier than chicken eggs?

Thanks for all the help!
    rosco

8. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    will the eggs in bottom basket get enough air? [​IMG]

if not, please give me an idea how i could arrange baskets and allow turning

they will be laid flat at time of "lockdown."

*the temp and humidity guage is not correct in this postion. just ignore those numbers.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:okay, i think i'm getting close to understanding. if the "X" starts out on top in the morning where does it go throughout the day? is it turned all the way over and back up if it is turned twice a day? so this makes a full down then another full up turn?

i'll probably do this using cartons now that i'm thinking about this. i'll have to adjust the turner as it only was made to turn about 45 degrees between the up and down positions.

my friend said these were very easy to hatch. once, he said he forgot he had them in the incubator and didn't turn them. one day, he heard them all out of their shells. is this the usual experience? is this easier than chicken eggs?

Thanks for all the help!
    rosco

when I was hand turning I would have the X on top @6 am then roll it over to the O at 2 pm then roll it again at 10 pm X back on top then do it again the next day I did that with 67 quail eggs for 1 hatch only LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by