Styrofoam Incubators Club

What kind of Styrofoam Incubator do you have?

• Hovabator

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • Little Giant--manual controls

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Little Giant--digital controls

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Farm innovators

Votes: 33 24.3%

• Total voters
Pics
You mean this one?

I have not used one myself but I do know the gauges are very incorrect, and it is indeed prone to temperature spikes. Make sure to invest in a couple extra thermometers as you will be needing them for a successful hatch. Maybe someone who owns this incubator can chime in with some hatching wisdom :)

Yes. That's the one.

I'm checking with a couple friends to see if I can borrow one of their incubators until I can get my Hovabator ordered and shipped.

I'm checking with a couple friends to see if I can borrow one of their incubators until I can get my Hovabator ordered and shipped.

If you have some basic building skills you can make one on the cheap, and everything is pretty easy to source locally...

Lower electric hot water thermostat, about $8
Porcelain light socket, about $2
Extension cord, about $2
Incandescent light bulb or two, about $1-$2 (dollar stores still carry them, or get an appliance bulb)
Desk fan or computer fan

You can also can get a dual light bulb adapter for the socket, that way you can use say two 25-40W bulbs and if one blows you still have a backup...

Wiring is straight forward...

Here is how I did mine, with the fan and light in a metal housing, not necessary but it does offer protection and helps better regulate temps...

You can using anything from a wood box to a foam cooler to a regular cooler even a plastic tote, but obviously the better insulated the better it will regulate...

I knocked this incubator out one night just for kicks and it's become my primary incubator, it's far more reliable then the cheap commercial foam ones, I dial it in at the start of the season and it holds temp steady all year, without adjustment....

Trying to get temps stable in our LG9300 after installing the fan kit. Holy temp swings batman! Any advice other than using a closet would be nice. We want to keep it out where we can all see it so it gets regular monitoring. Just finished a hatch without a fan and had great results but want to put more than a dozen eggs in this time.

Trying to get temps stable in our LG9300 after installing the fan kit. Holy temp swings batman! Any advice other than using a closet would be nice. We want to keep it out where we can all see it so it gets regular monitoring. Just finished a hatch without a fan and had great results but want to put more than a dozen eggs in this time.
My Farm innovator is doing the same after we put the fan in, still tweaking.

Last edited:
We had to install a computer fan, AND get the thermostat in just the riiiiiiight spot. We are 10 days in of holding steady now, 8 with eggs in and I candled 10 of them last night...6 growing, 1 couldn't see and 3 no-growers. Not bad considering we have 1 male quail and 8 females. Not all are laying yet but he is young and so that's a lot to keep up with ;)

So update on my chicks to be, HOPEFULLY!  Out of 15 eggs 4 are not fertile so i tossed em', 7 are good and 4 are I'm not sure's.  Since it is my first time ever putting light to an egg I figure I will wait until signs of death are more prominent.  Don't want to go tossing away good eggs!  

I agree. I do not throw out any eggs until at least day 10 when I'm 100% sure they're not developing/dead. Please keep us updated with your progress! :) 

Yes, so glad I waited!
Last time I candled I thought I may have 3 clears but waited to toss. When I candled this morning I only had 1 clear. Did an eggtopsy and it wasn't fertile. My air cells were small so I only put wet paper towel in and they seem like the right size now after 3 days.

I also thought I saw a blood ring but when I looked at it agin I didn't. The egg was sitting vertical in the egg turner and then I placed it down horizontally. Could that be why?:confused:

I have eggs with loose air sacs and they are in a little giant still air incubator sitting big end up. Since my styrofoam incubator has hot and cold spots is it ok If I move the eggs around but not turn them?

Back
Top Bottom