1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Styrofoam Incubators Club

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beetandsteet, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Hovabator

42 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Little Giant--manual controls

14 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. Little Giant--digital controls

37 vote(s)
    30.6%
  4. Farm innovators

28 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Smile Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Me too! I have 10 Old english game bantam (OEGB) mixes, and one EE x silkie tossed in at the last minute. Oops. :lau
    -Banti

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Haha those "last minute" hatching decisions--I can totally relate. [​IMG]

3. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    Here is what I use to get the thermometers up to the right level, just cardboard and sticky tac:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. heatherledet

heatherledet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2016
    No wisdom yet. Here to learn. Fairly new! This is my second hatch attempt. The first was a fail. I think I may have drowned them. So im trying for the 30%-35% humidity levels in lockdown and i have added another acurite and a basic thermometor after making sure the all were correct.

5. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    That's fantastic. I use an aquarium thermometer as well, along with a metal one and a digital. I have a forced air, so the thermometers are sitting on the wire mesh at the bottom. You've got me thinking perhaps I need to get another one and place it on the top of the eggs too.

6. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    What made you think they drowned? Just curious..... I don't want to drown mine. :fl
    -Banti

7. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    No problem! There are so many knowledgeable people on here, there is all the information you need :) I drowned a hatch last year, then I went with the dry method and got the best hatch I'd ever had. Are you using the acurite "humidity monitor"? I've used that one and it's great.
    If you've incubated at 30-35% a lockdown humidity of 75% is perfectly fine. In fact, it gives you some cushion in case you need to open the incubator.
    Welcome to the club! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Coreenelane

Coreenelane Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    This might not be the correct place to post but I have a question on how clean must the eggs be to incubate and if I have to wipe them with a sponge could I use a light mist of food grade sanitizer on them? Has anyone done this? I am concerned about wiping off to much of the protective coating.

9. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Don't use dirty eggs (as in, covered/smeared with poop or dirt) unless you have to. Keep your nests full of fresh clean hay to help prevent dirty eggs. But to clean, I usually just use water and and a paper towel. I've not heard of using a food sanitizer. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable could chime in.

10. heatherledet

heatherledet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2016
    Poor knowledge of humidity levels and rhe whole proscess really. Having it really high before and during lockdown. Way too high! 60-70% before and then durning 70-80%. I also didnt remove the ventilation caps during the whole incubation period. They have holes for allowing air but i didnt open the ones made for proper ventilation. I went off of somebody elses poor to little advice. Not that they are to blame. I simply did not do my research.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by