Styrofoam or plastic cooler? Which to make into a homemade incubator?

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
I have a small/ tall cooler that doesn't hold heat very well. Tried using it to make yogurt but it didn't hold the heat very well; the original yogurt making cooler is very small ( 4 -qt size canning jars) and too small any way. It is stryofoam and very thick walled.

Looked at a new cooler today short, about 1/2 the height of typical plastic type cooler, but maybe too short. Reminded me of the LG. IT's $20.

So it seems not all coolers are made equally--how well does yours hold the heat? And which did you use--plastic type cooler or styrofoam? ANd which brand?

I'm off to the basement to find another cooler and test it for how well it hold the heat.

Last edited:
Found a large rect cooler in the basement--think it was my grandfathers. Will try this one for holding the heat. Don't like the cover; won't be able to cut it to place a glass window. So DH and I have been brainstorming another cover using thick styrofoam.

I'm reminded of an old phrase --KISS. It's easy to over engineer this incubator!!! I'll just have to keep KISS in mind!

Hubby made one for me out of a cooler and it was awesome. We had trouble with the thermostat but I've read ways around that.

KISS has been my saving grace many times over. If the side can be cut out...go for it. We used plexiglass and duct tape....worked great.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom