Styrofoam

Steven Phillippe

Chirping
Sep 22, 2019
Hi everyone it’s been a while since I’ve been on. Today I heard a noise and notice one our chicks eating away at a piece of foam board we were using in the coop for insulation. It ate a lot of it so I removed it. Our silkies never bothered with it so never though about it being a hazard. Will the chicks pass it or kill them or what? Thanks in advance. Steven P.

Attachments

• CA98B408-9757-4CC8-A328-35704356D09C.jpeg
    CA98B408-9757-4CC8-A328-35704356D09C.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 6
It will probably pass without issue. I had birds eat about 3 feet of foam pipe insulation off a hose bib riser once. They all survived. That was remedied by covering the insulation with something they could not peck through (gorilla tape). While it's not optimal, and we should try to prevent it, stuff happens, it's hard to think of everything! They are very innovative at finding ways to get into trouble sometimes.

Update. All is well and everyone is outside all day now and locked up at night. Padlock on the door!! :)
Glad to hear! Today my hens knocked over 2 of those Walmart scarecrows and ate part of the Styrofoam heads! I got on here to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. Hopefully all of mine will be OK!

Back
Top Bottom