Success in Carrollton, GA!

raymarkson

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Georgia
We have been working on changing the local ordinances in the city of Carrollton, GA since April. In March I received a notice on my door which stated that the three hens that I had in my backyard did not comply with city ordinances and that they must be removed from my property within forty-eight hours. Instead of removing them, I gathered a group of almost eighty people that lived in my community (via facebook) that all agreed that we should be able to keep chickens on our property in a reasonable manner if we wish to do so. We had more than thirty from that group show up in yellow shirts at the city council meeting to request that the ordinance concerning the keeping of chickens be changed. Luckily, the council was very open to the idea and they were willing to work with us. It was a long process, but several meetings later they finally voted on it at the August 1 meeting and approved changing the ordinance in our favor! We are now allowed to own up to 6 hens (no roosters) on any residential property in the city as long as the coops can be located 25 feet from the property line. I was extremely happy about this and I have already expanded my flock of three to the maximum of six. I just wanted to share.

Last edited:
D.gif
Congratulations!
D.gif

larsonll,
You're welcome. It was my pleasure, really. I'm just glad that we have a mayor and council that were open to listening to the idea; it seems that other communities are not so fortunate in that respect. I hope you enjoy your little flock. I know I love having mine around.

Thanks, speckledhen! Daisy is doing great! It was a long summer trying to get my three girls to accept her, though. It went way beyond establishing pecking order too; they were downright brutal to her so I had to put her in her own coop. Then, I got two chicks to put with her so that she would not be lonely, which put me at my six hen maximum. I've been meaning to send you a message with pictures of her with her new flock... I will do that this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom