SUCCESS!!! *picture*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FabulousMandy, May 19, 2010.

1. FabulousMandy

FabulousMandy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    [​IMG]

Cornflake the broody GLW hen accepted our six new hatchery chicks last night as her babies and is being a super good mommy! [​IMG].

I was so unbelievably nervous about introducing her to the chicks because my first thought was she was going to kill them. I have zero experience with broody hens and had no idea what to expect, but it was so, so easy. We waited until about midnight and under the cover of darkness we slipped her the first chick. The baby chirped and Cornflake clucked back, and then she just nudged it under her wing and that was that! So I gave her the other five one at a time and she did the same thing. I can't believe how easy it was! Watching her with the babies is the cutest thing in the world; I'm so happy that she went broody right as I was ordering new chicks, the timing was excellent!!

2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    That is so sweet!!! Congrats!!!

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    That's great!

I tried to do that but as soon as I moved my broody hen to a 'safe' location she decided not to be broody. Of course the second I put her back in with the flock she was broody again. [​IMG]

4. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    good job! I've tried this many times with no luck haha They always either try to kill them or ignore them. I guess my hens just aren't the mothering type! haha But then I wish they wouldn't go broody so much haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by