Success with Saddle Shaped Air Cells?

khpadventures

Songster
May 26, 2020
Just looking to see if anyone here has been able to have much success with saddle shaped air cells. I've been following the Sally Sunshine method, and I just checked one egg quickly today (day 2) while turning and I can see the saddle shape developing. The air cells were jiggly, not entirely loose, on arrival and are still jihgly

When I think about it, I worry that having the eggs upright in a carton, and turning from one corner to the opposite one almost seems like it would encourage the saddle shape? Am I turning them wrong maybe? Hm....

Anyways, would love to hear from people who have successfully dealt with the saddle shaped Air cells.

Yes, I have hatched out lots of chicken and quail who had saddle shaped air cells. I have tried many different methods over the years but I've settled on incubating upright for the first 48 hours, and don't mess with them at all. Then day 3 I candle and mark any eggs that the air cell was odd or still detached and then put them in the turner as usual, I stop turning 5 days before hatch to give them a bit more time to get situated for hatching. Keep an eye out for pips on the wrong end or in the middle of the egg. If they do pip on the wrong end it's often the "internal pip" they just had to break through the shell rather than the membrane inside, they will need more time to finish absorbing the yolk, so don't jump to assist in the first 24 hours.

Yes, I have hatched out lots of chicken and quail who had saddle shaped air cells. I have tried many different methods over the years but I've settled on incubating upright for the first 48 hours, and don't mess with them at all. Then day 3 I candle and mark any eggs that the air cell was odd or still detached and then put them in the turner as usual, I stop turning 5 days before hatch to give them a bit more time to get situated for hatching. Keep an eye out for pips on the wrong end or in the middle of the egg. If they do pip on the wrong end it's often the "internal pip" they just had to break through the shell rather than the membrane inside, they will need more time to finish absorbing the yolk, so don't jump to assist in the first 24 hours.
What style egg turner do you have? Mine is one where they lay flat on their sides, and I am a tad more worried about it causing problems than ones that keep the egg vertical

I checked a handful today, and I've had improvements with the saddle shape (yay) but they are almost all still jiggly. Do jiggly cells heal as they get bigger?

Back
Top Bottom