Success?

CannonFamFarms

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
I'm a brand new member here and I need a bit of advice. I became a hatchaholic 30 days ago when i received my first shipment of eggs purchased from ebay. I was told the success rate of shipped eggs was around 20% so I was ecstatic when I found that all but 3 of my 32 eggs were good at day 25. It is now day 30 (29 if you don't count first 24hrs) and piping has begun. I'm really hoping the eggs' close proximity to one another in the inky isn't a problem. My main question is, when the first ducklings hatch should I immediately open the vent holes? or should I leave them to keep humidity up? just need to know what to do with the hatchlings. Thanks all!

hatching consumes the oxygen in an incubator. yes you should open the holes but keep your humidity up... do not open your incubator until you think everything has hatched. right before the chick/duck hatches it soaks up its yolk, this gives it enough nourishment to get through about 3 days.

also, just in case no one told you; when ducks hatch in an incubator they are not covered with their mother's oil and should not be allowed to swim.

oh okay that makes sense! Yes I've raised commercial ducklings before I've just never hatched them. I went ahead and pulled out one vent cap to get a little oxygen flowing. I guess I'll pull the other as the chicks come out. Thank you very much for the help!

it is so hard not to take out the first 4!!! they have to sit there and wait for almost 30 more eggs!

I heard as well if u let the other ducklings/chicks run around they jump over the eggs while their hatching this can cause the chick to die during them breaking out of the shell but it's up to u :)

I heard as well if u let the other ducklings/chicks run around they jump over the eggs while their hatching this can cause the chick to die during them breaking out of the shell but it's up to u
smile.png
I was just getting ready to say, if you see a break in the hatching, and the ducklings are dry it is ok to take them out. when you open your bator, mist your eggs lightly with water as close as you can get to the hatching temp. this helps the humidity.

thanks for the advice guys! I have three ducklings in the brooder but now my hat she has paused. it started Sunday.I still have eggs piping peeping and shaking but it worries me none the less.

the hatchlings knocked the eggs all around and I am now worried that the ducklings can't get out

OK its coming up on 48 hours after day 28,with still only three out of the shell and about five more piped and more with dark spots like they are ready to breach I guess I should just be patient but it's been almost 16 hours since the last egg hatched.

Back
Top Bottom