Successful 100% forage diet experiment (long post)

Pics
Free range can work, in theory. This spring, I visited Maui and was astounded by the large number of feral chickens. They were everywhere. Lots of broodies with babies in tow. Some broods were quite large. I never saw anyone feeding them and you are discouraged from doing so. I imagine a year around mild climate helps a great deal.

The chickens were on the small side and generally game-bird like in appearance. I would guess egg production is not terribly high.

Free range can work, in theory. This spring, I visited Maui and was astounded by the large number of feral chickens. They were everywhere. Lots of broodies with babies in tow. Some broods were quite large. I never saw anyone feeding them and you are discouraged from doing so. I imagine a year around mild climate helps a great deal.

The chickens were on the small side and generally game-bird like in appearance. I would guess egg production is not terribly high.
No predation also helps.

No predation also helps.
They have predators in Hawaii and specifically on Maui. Mongoose and feral cats come to mind.

Chickens in their wild, red junglefowl, state are regarded as some of the most predator-resistant animals on earth by naturalists. The Hawaii chickens have varying degrees of RJF in them. Although not as much as they used to.

Survival clutch rate for feral red junglefowl in India and China is around 33% for each clutch. My own semi-feral chickens are multiplying like crazy outside right now despite regular predation, but of course that's with me assisting to some extent

If I was removed from the equation I would estimate the survival rate would more closely resemble wild RJF

Survival clutch rate for feral red junglefowl in India and China is around 33% for each clutch. My own semi-feral chickens are multiplying like crazy outside right now despite regular predation, but of course that's with me assisting to some extent

If I was removed from the equation I would estimate the survival rate would more closely resemble wild RJF
The survival rate of wild turkey poults, in the wild, is very similar to wild RJF; 33% of each hatched chick. If you count unhatched eggs, its around 10%.

I also saw a study that indicated that only a small percentage of all living RJF in a particular area successfully produce the next generation of surviving adults. It was something very low like 15-25% if I’m not mistaken. I can’t remember what terms I used to find the study. That is consistent with what I’ve personally observed with wild turkeys. I once saw a distinct wild turkey hen that for the years I observed her always seemed to be a more successful mother than her peers. It helped me understand that some turkey hens raise more of the next generation than others. So I could see how RJF would be the same. Some hens will simply be better mothers than others.

I let mine run around about an acre of unsprayed lawn and lazily cut lawn when I am home and lock them up at night. They only eat feed in the morning and before bed. All other times they want to roam around and peck. They seem healthy and happy.

Back
Top Bottom