1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SUCCESSFUL MOLT?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by manny5412, Mar 8, 2015.

1. manny5412

manny5412 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    I was just curious to know what experienced poultry owners know about aiding roosters to go through a successful molt! What feed stuffs do you guys use? and what are the nutrition requirements of a rooster during this time? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Plenty of protein, with an abundance of vitamin A, B1, B12, D3 and other good stuff, all found in animal protein. A commercial chicken feed or breeder ration with about 18% protein is a good place to start and cut back on the treats.

I am having trouble understanding the timing of your request. The molt should be over in the Northern Hemisphere and not quite yet begun South of the Equator. Some keepers however have been known to accidently trigger a forced molt by following fad diets that do not take a chickens' nutrient requirements into account. However this usually involves starvation and forced dehydration. I don't know how to actually trigger a forced molt myself but its not hard to find out. I just refuse to keep fowl in this fashion.

I understand in the tropics that the start of the molt can be more dependent on the age of the chicken and not the time of the year or the Sun's position.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I agree with chickengeorgeto. Normally 13-15% protein is sufficient for roosters but those percentages are hard to find.
    During molt building feathers does take a protein boost since they're about 90% protein.
    I like to provide some animal protein during molt since it's more complete in amino acids.

4. manny5412

manny5412 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    My roosters are not going through molt at the moment, just trying to find answers in order to be prepared for when they do begin to molt, thanks for the help tho! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by