Successful Quail Hatch

JurassicBawk

Songster
7 Years
Jun 23, 2016
Hixson, TN
I set my first batch of eggs to incubate in late April, with the hatch date set for my birthday (5/12) and so they'd be ready for my family to see when I hosted Mother's Day on Sunday. I was checking articles here for help, and then when it was hatch time BYC was offline, but we made it anyway. :) I originally set 31 eggs, then removed 7 infertile ones before lockdown. Of the 24, I had 18 hatch. There were 14 on my birthday (Friday, day 18 of incubation) that are all big and healthy, then I had one hatch late on Saturday night, and when I woke up very early on Sunday morning he had 3 little friends. I checked the other 6 eggs on Sunday at 48 hours after the first hatch, and could feel/see nothing at all to show any kind of life, so I disposed of them. The 4 littles had to stay in the incubator on Sunday because they were teeny. One had a twisted body from coming out the wrong end of the egg, and one could only walk backwards and had to brace itself to stand up.

I worked with the two with issues for hours on Sunday, and finally that night moved the 2 that were fine but small (because they were attacking the feet of the others) and the twisted one since it had finally straightened up to normal. Monday morning I was expecting little Reverse to be dead, but he made it through the night and was sitting up normally. I picked him up and took him to the brooder because he was screaming his head off for his buddies, and as soon as we got to their room and he heard them, he scrambled out of my hand and hit the floor. :-( I was scared he had just killed himself and started crying because he was doing better then this happened, but he slowly stopped gasping for air, turned over, and sat upright. After a few minutes he seemed mostly ok, so I put him in the brooder expecting him to not make it by the time I got home. But he did. And he was still alive this morning. He's tiny, wobbly, and keeps getting his eyes caked over with food since he lays in the food bowl, but he's trying.

It's weird seeing the 14 big ones with the 4 little ones. Everyone is getting along great so far, and I've ordered tiny leg bands so that I can eventually mark the smaller ones and then mark genders as I figure them out. I'll be moving them to a bigger brooder this weekend, but for now they're loving the big plastic tub they are in since it stays nice and warm. They're eating, drinking, and playing with the thermometer just fine, and always scare me when I go to check on them and they're laying out flat sleeping. I'm calling them my little bumblebees for now, because they're buzzing around like crazy.

Hatching on Friday:
IMG_2034.JPG
IMG_2040.JPG
IMG_2058.JPG

Last edited:
The NICU four. I used a giant Lego to help the twisted one be able to brace and sit up, then put the little one that was stuck going backwards (seen in the corner) in it to help get the legs working properly. They also got a gorilla dog toy to snuggle with because they were driving me crazy wanting me to stay and hold them.
IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2076.JPG

In a week (or even less) you won't be able to see the size difference between NICU and the "bigger" ones. Congrats on a well done hatch!

I set my first batch of eggs to incubate in late April, with the hatch date set for my birthday (5/12) and so they'd be ready for my family to see when I hosted Mother's Day on Sunday. I was checking articles here for help, and then when it was hatch time BYC was offline, but we made it anyway. :) I originally set 31 eggs, then removed 7 infertile ones before lockdown. Of the 24, I had 18 hatch. There were 14 on my birthday (Friday, day 18 of incubation) that are all big and healthy, then I had one hatch late on Saturday night, and when I woke up very early on Sunday morning he had 3 little friends. I checked the other 6 eggs on Sunday at 48 hours after the first hatch, and could feel/see nothing at all to show any kind of life, so I disposed of them. The 4 littles had to stay in the incubator on Sunday because they were teeny. One had a twisted body from coming out the wrong end of the egg, and one could only walk backwards and had to brace itself to stand up.

I worked with the two with issues for hours on Sunday, and finally that night moved the 2 that were fine but small (because they were attacking the feet of the others) and the twisted one since it had finally straightened up to normal. Monday morning I was expecting little Reverse to be dead, but he made it through the night and was sitting up normally. I picked him up and took him to the brooder because he was screaming his head off for his buddies, and as soon as we got to their room and he heard them, he scrambled out of my hand and hit the floor. :-( I was scared he had just killed himself and started crying because he was doing better then this happened, but he slowly stopped gasping for air, turned over, and sat upright. After a few minutes he seemed mostly ok, so I put him in the brooder expecting him to not make it by the time I got home. But he did. And he was still alive this morning. He's tiny, wobbly, and keeps getting his eyes caked over with food since he lays in the food bowl, but he's trying.

It's weird seeing the 14 big ones with the 4 little ones. Everyone is getting along great so far, and I've ordered tiny leg bands so that I can eventually mark the smaller ones and then mark genders as I figure them out. I'll be moving them to a bigger brooder this weekend, but for now they're loving the big plastic tub they are in since it stays nice and warm. They're eating, drinking, and playing with the thermometer just fine, and always scare me when I go to check on them and they're laying out flat sleeping. I'm calling them my little bumblebees for now, because they're buzzing around like crazy.
Congrats on a successful hatch? I had 32 out of 50 hatch on Mother's Day as well. Tiny little things are still freaking me out! LOL

I have a couple I wonder if they will make it due to the way they splay their legs out but so far they all seem to be mobile. I did have to peel two out of their shells that night because they pipped then stopped. They are the smallest ones but seem to be doing ok.

They're still on large pee pads, yes. I changed it out when I got home from work and again this morning, because they are messy little things. I'm considering putting pine shavings and/or some hamster bedding I have in one corner when I get home to see how they do. My one tiny little isn't growing at all and is still wobbly, and I don't want him to get stuck in it. The others are already bathing in their food so they'd probably appreciate something to play in. The hamster shavings I have are softer than wood, so I may start with that.

Back
Top Bottom