Such a disappointing day

I finally dug out my mom's game cam and got some batteries for it. So far things have been a bit too quiet. We did find where a hog is coming into the horse pasture, probably to get water from the pond. Mom and I are going to get a hog box trap. She (my mom) wants us to get trappers permits so we dont get into any trouble with trapping these predators. I didnt think we would need permits on our own property but she wants to play it safe.

I already have my gun loaded and ready to go, any dogs that get near my livestock will be short lived. I take extra care with my dogs and I expect my neighbors to do the same.

I finally dug out my mom's game cam and got some batteries for it. So far things have been a bit too quiet. We did find where a hog is coming into the horse pasture, probably to get water from the pond. Mom and I are going to get a hog box trap. She (my mom) wants us to get trappers permits so we dont get into any trouble with trapping these predators. I didnt think we would need permits on our own property but she wants to play it safe.

I already have my gun loaded and ready to go, any dogs that get near my livestock will be short lived. I take extra care with my dogs and I expect my neighbors to do the same.
You do not need a license of any kind to kill hogs in Texas. They are out of control.

Here in FL, Hogs are considered ferral, and you are allowed to hunt them all you want.

With all these horror stories about predators making their way into the hardiest of coops I am pretty bewildered as to why I am constantly criticized on BYC for letting our flock roost way up in a big old pine tree at night. So far it has been almost a year since our flock started doing that on their own accord and we have not lost any from the tree. I understand that they are at risk up there, but reading this thread, I'm not convinced any coop is much safer!

Our chickens free-range all day in our fenced back yard and we did lose our Australorp hen to our own dogs one afternoon. I think it was because she was the slowest and most outgoing bird we had. We hand-raised our flock from chicks with our two adult dogs constantly there - a Pitbull/Corgi mix female and a Formosan Mountain Dog mix male. The dogs were totally used to the birds as our pets and all they had ever wanted to do was lick them. Or so we thought. Now the dogs only get to go in the yard when we are there to supervise, or after the chickens have roosted for the night. It sucks for our pooches but I can never trust them again unsupervised around chickens. Perhaps if I ever get a chance to raise a puppy around chickens, that might work, but with these two, never again.

Back
Top Bottom