Sudden aggression from rooster - I think I know why, how to fix it?

That wasn't mentioned in your first post. You put you had to separate, & reintroduce. If she's already with flock to heal, reintroduction shouldn't be needed.
Well, there were some issues when I let her out with them on Sunday. So, I had to do it gradually over a couple days. Reintroduction isn’t my concern, just mentioned it because it was the only new event in relation to the roosters change in behavior.

Well, there were some issues when I let her out with them on Sunday. So, I had to do it gradullay over a couple days. Reintroduction isn’t my concern, just mentioned it because it was the only new event in relation to the roosters change in behavior.
Some picking is going to happen, that's a normal pecking order thing.

But the rooster, should settle down once he realizes you're helping, not hurting.

Some picking is going to happen, that's a normal pecking order thing.

But the rooster, should settle down once he realizes you're helping, not hurting.
Right, but this was full on fighting. And from two of my sweetest, most docile hens. A gradual reintroduction worked. Gave her some time out with the flock along with safe time to eat and drink without being pecked. All of that has calmed down.

Thats what I’m hoping also. I’ve had to catch and hold her a lot over the last couple months - crop massaging, meds, readjusting and changing out the crop bra, being in the crate off and on. It’s also been abnormally cold for us.

Right, but this was full on fighting. And from two of my sweetest, most docile hens. A gradual reintroduction worked. Gave her some time out with the flock along with safe time to eat and drink without being pecked. All of that has calmed down.

Thats what I’m hoping also. I’ve had to catch and hold her a lot over the last couple months - crop massaging, meds, readjusting and changing out the crop bra, being in the crate off and on. It’s also been abnormally cold for us.
I have fights break out too, usually my roosters break them up.

How cold?

Special needs birds are alot of work.

I would start by ignoring all the girls.
I would bring treats to the flock and hopefully he will meet you at the door again. Offer all the treats to HIM to doll out to the girls.
I'm sure your new behavior doing something that the pullets didn't like and he found threatening was the trigger. You need to work to reassure him you are not a threat to his girls or to his leadership of them and that you don't want to hurt him or them.
If you think he is going to flog you again, always enter the pen with sturdy jeans and long sleeves and keep your eye on him. If he flogs you, just stand there and look at him CALMLY. Take a step towards him to let him know that you are not intimidated and won't back down. Quite the contrary, if he flogs you it will make you walk closer to him. He doesn't like that.
If you start now and are consistent, he should be fine. It is very normal for a rooster to be aggressive. He has to be to protect his flock. If you are not a threat to him or his flock, he should not aim his aggression towards you.
But always keep in mind that he is the leader of the flock, not you. He is with them 24/7, you aren't.
"I would start by ignoring all the girls"

Spraying water on the girls has pissed him off. .I raised my girls 8 months before adding a rooster (2 yrs old) My hens always submitted to me and would squat anytime I tried to approach them but they don't anymore. I no longer pick them up or try to handle them. Any treats are offered to him first then he calls the girls . I have had no incidents with this rooster but I am cautious anytime I enter into the run since he's new Edit: This post was meant for the OP sorry!

Back
Top Bottom