Sudden behavior change

Chicky_B

In the Brooder
May 29, 2023
Hi everyone. Im worried about my 6 and a half week old chick. I found her this morning acting differently then her usual outgoing self. She haven’t been laying down and prefers to stand even to sleep. She holds her tail down and head tucked closer to her chest with her feathers puffed/ ruffled up. She sometimes works up the courage to forage and groom herself but goes back to acting differently. She had a sip of water this morning but did not eat and hasn’t drank since. I’ve seen only one of their stools and it was white and mucusy looking. No one else in the flock is acting or has acted this way. Any help is appreciated! We are buying corid now and added ACV to the water.

Last edited:
Don't do the ACV. Get her started on Corid right away. I would treat all of them that are kept together. Correct dosing of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of drinking water for 5 - 7 days. Make fresh daily and make sure it's the only water available, no puddles, streams, other water sources. For the one that is acting sick, I would also give her an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Give the oral dose, and then give her the medicated water several times a day, directly, orally, until she starts drinking on her own. You have to get the medication in for it to start to work. Start as soon as possible, coccidiosis can take them down quickly. Corid is very safe, no worries about too much.

Don't do the ACV. Get her started on Corid right away. I would treat all of them that are kept together. Correct dosing of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of drinking water for 5 - 7 days. Make fresh daily and make sure it's the only water available, no puddles, streams, other water sources. For the one that is acting sick, I would also give her an oral dose in addition to the medicated water, dosing for that is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Give the oral dose, and then give her the medicated water several times a day, directly, orally, until she starts drinking on her own. You have to get the medication in for it to start to work. Start as soon as possible, coccidiosis can take them down quickly. Corid is very safe, no worries about too much.
Thank you so much for the help! I’ve looked everywhere for corid and there’s none in stock near me. I’ve ordered some but it’ll be here in 2 days 😔. Do you have any recommendations to help her until I get corid? I feel so bad I can’t get any corid for her today.

Do you have any SMZ/TMP on hand? Is there anyone near you with chickens or cattle that you can ask if they have any Corid on hand? You could also call around and see if a vet will let you get some from them as it's an emergency (sorry I didn't see this earlier). Some will use acidified copper sulfate if they can't get Corid, mixing is a bit complicated or it can be toxic, but if that's all you can get... If you've got probiotics, give those. Some suggest a puree'd beef baby food to feed to try to get them through, honestly no idea if that would help. Sulfa meds and toltrazuril (rabbit keepers might have that on hand) are both other treatments for coccidiosis.

If you have any bactrim, that is the same as the sulfa antibiotic that Coach recommended. Dosage would be 1/4 tablet twice a day. Did you have any family or friends with chickens that might have Corid or other medications? The white dropping in your other thread looks very mucus. Can you get her to drink from a small cup by dipping her beak?

Back
Top Bottom