1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sudden change in nesting spot.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JNorth, Mar 8, 2014.

1. JNorth

JNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    We have 6 RSL's that are a little over 2 years old. They have been using the same nesting box since they started laying. Suddenly they are all laying in the opposite corner of the coop on the floor. We get a lone egg on the floor every now and again but never have we ever had the entire flock use the floor. There hasn't been any change to nesting material, food or water quantity/quality. There are no predators around that we can find (ground is still snow covered and there aren't any unusual prints in the snow). Any ideas why? Is it just normal? I don't care where they lay their eggs as long as everything is okay, know what I mean?

2. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Hmm - have you tried putting a fake egg or two (or a real one if you don't have any fake ones) in the original nest box to persuade them to go back and use that? Chickens will tend to lay where they see other eggs, so if someone is laying on the floor and you don't collect it quickly, the other hens may well just join in and lay in the same place.

3. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    I'll give that a try. Break out the golf balls again! :)

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Golf balls good idea...take a real good look under the nesting material to make sure there's nothing in there...mice, mites etc.

5. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    We completely overhauled the coop yesterday and found no mites or mice (or droppings). I haven't been out yet this morning to see where the eggs are....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by