1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sudden Change in Roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texaskinner, Nov 29, 2010.

1. texaskinner

texaskinner New Egg

Aug 29, 2010
    My chicken coop is attached to my barn. They go in there only to lay, eat, and roost. I lock them up at night, but during the day they are free to come and go, roaming wherever they want. Lately, some have opted to roost in the barn and slowly, each of the others followed suit. Now all 21 of them roost all over the barn instead of the coop. Too much of a mess for me to want to endure. Why do you think they did this and what can I do to get them to start roosting in the coop again? This evening I caught every one of them and put them back in there myself.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd guess either there's a problem in your coop -- rats, snake, lice/mites, could be a lot of things -- or they just like the barn better because they can roost higher in there.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My games prefer to roost in loft of barn, especially when temperatures drop. Some of motivation may also come from perceived threats by predators. As a general rule, when my birds shift roost due to predators or temperature, they move to areas with more escape options.

4. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    yes probly rat or snake or something that is low. beleieve it os not they are smart sometimes. just trying to get high and way from what ever it is.
    just be glad they are inside barn and not out side up in a tree lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by