Sudden chicken death- help!

Anoure

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
I found my almost 8 month old Easter Egger chicken dead this morning on the bottom of the coop. She was not stiff. I don't know when she died but her eyes were glazed over white. She was not sick, none of my flock are sick. They eat regular Purina layer feed. I have 4 other chickens, (Red Star, Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpy, and Black Star). All see well and healthy. I checked them every day, fresh water, feed, etc. I did give them a new snack of pumpkin this week because I read in my Back Yard Poultry mag that it was good for deworming. Could that make them sick? The pumpkin rind is still laying in there area. They have a large yard that is fenced in about 250 sq ft or so and a large coop (converted new shed) that we keep clean. We're brand new to chickens and this is our first flock. We haven't given them any meds at all. Just the Purina layer feed, scratch and occasional treats of hard boiled eggs, banana, lettuce (which they don't like!) and other veggies/fruits but only occasionally. Then I did the pumpkin on Sunday.

Any ideas!!? I don't want to lose all of my chickens if there is something that they all have or if the pumpking poisoned them!

I have given mine pumpkin , did just this morning. It could have had a health issue you didn't know about. I also found one dead in the run, no sign of injury. Just curious, do you feed oyster shells and layer feed also?

Yes, I do feed oyster shell as well as the feed and scratch. Is that bad?

All of those are ok to give your chickens. I've given my girls pumpkin or squash once a week for the past 3 weeks. They love it
love.gif

Crushed oyster shells are also ok. I don't have any theories as to what happened to your girl
idunno.gif
but I just wanted to let you know the pumpkin is ok. Hopefully, someone will be able to offer you some better imput.
hugs.gif
sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss. We lost a hen suddenly, but we were there when it happened. DH, who has alot more chicken keeping experience than I'll ever have, diagnosed it as a heart attack. It happens.
hugs.gif

ETA: I've fed my chickens pumpkin with no problems.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom