Sudden Death in Young Coturnix Quail (internal rupture, prolapsed vent)/ Has anyone seen something similar?

AccidentalQuailKeeper

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2021
Canada
Hello, unfortunately I discovered my young quail hen (hatched september 2023) dead, I don't know exactly when she died as I discovered her late afternoon after being away all day, by the time I discovered her body her eyes were already sunken in, the gases had built up inside of her and she stunk BAD. In addition her insides were hanging out and the area near her abdomen seemed to be swollen and purple, there was no blood trail anywhere other than what had leaked out of her, it's as if she just fell over and died where she was. My first guess is either being egg bound or had an intestinal blockage from eating something she shouldn't have as I have had to stop her from doing so in the past. I had checked on them late last night and didn't notice anything with her enough to cause alarm. Although looking back she seemed to be standing awkwardly in the back with her neck tucked in although i assumed that was just because it was lights off and they were going to sleep.

Another reason I had assumed nothing was wrong is all of the other quail were treating her normally, usually I've noticed is the other birds were start picking on one if they start appearing weak or start avoiding them but there was no signs of that. She was housed with 4 other birds (2 male, 2 female, I am rehoming one of the males and just needed somewhere to put him) in an XL dog crate that has been retrofitted to have 2 floors and has areas for them to hide. As for feed I have them on 21% layer pellets, have a dish of oyster grit always available to them and supplement them with mealworms every now an then.

I would love to know if they have had a similar situation happen to them and what I could've done to prevent this. I have already buried her (she REALLY smelled bad) and do not plan on doing a necropsy as I do not have the proper tools, knowledge, or stomach with the state her body was in.

Sorry about your Quail.

Hard to know what happened without necropsy. I think you made a good guess on just what you saw. Perhaps egg bound or egg bound with prolapse since the insides were out.

If you lose another in a very short period of time, then having a necropsy done would give you answers.

Back
Top Bottom