Sudden death of 9 month of hen

FloridaFlock

Chirping
Jun 8, 2020
Much to my own heartache I had a hen pass away this afternoon unexpectedly. No illnesses, no issues within the flock, nothing to suggest anything. She was found near our house and had apparently been digging but that’s nothing unusual. She loved a good dust bath. I checked her mouth post-mortem and saw nothing obstructing the airway. Air could be pushed out if I compressed her chest. Laying normally as far as I know. She was 1 of 8 and I never get 8 eggs a day so it’s hard to know if she was egg bound but ate/drank/acted normal from what I could tell. I greet them each this morning when I opened the coop and it seemed like any other day. No physical injuries when she was found. I checked her body. Neck did not appear injured. It was like she laid down and never got up. I had planned to deworm for good measure (bought oatmeal as a carrier this morning but had to get the kids from school and we found her afterwards) although I’ve never had any issues that I’m aware of but saw it was recommended twice a year. Eyes appeared normal, no lesions, no infections, feet had no sores. I did feed them some cherry tomatoes before I left and chocking (although airway was clear from above and I don’t know what to think about being able to push air with compressions...if there was a lodge maybe passing allowed me to push air around object) or a genetic issue are the only things I can think of. I’m a nurse so I tried to give her a throughly look over afterwards but I’m a new chicken owner. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I know she was a chicken and people view them as livestock but seeing that my kids are allergic to pretty much everything else these girls are our pets and are treated as such so loosing one is extremely difficult. The thought that I’ve overlooked something that could impact the entire flock is too much to think about so I wanted to check here to see if anyone had a suggestion. ❤

If you want to be absolutely sure, you could get a necropsy done, if you can get one done within 24 hours of death, that is best. As far as I know, all States will do them, the cost varies pretty widely. In Ohio you have to get a referral from a veterinarian to have one done, and they will only release results to a veterinarian. Some people do their own necropsies...I have not tried that, but some may exist in your area who will do them for you at a lower cost, if you check on here and don't wish to do one yourself. Or ask your vet.

That being said, we've had chickens for 16 years, and have had more than one sudden death in our flock. It happens, just as it does in people, and all animals. I'm sorry for your loss. Just watch the rest of the flock, and make sure they're acting OK.

Back
Top Bottom