Sudden Death

GrandmaChickie

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
Hello, I'm new to the site. It is too late to save my poor Dominique hen, Helen, but I wondered if anyone else had run across this and could tell me what had happened. She would have been 2 in June, so she was young and healthy. I let the flock out at 4:00 pm and she was fine. By which, I mean, she ran out with the others--I didn't do a full physical on each chicken, but she seemed fine. Two hours later, she was hunched over, having uncontrollable diarrhea. When I picked her up, she vomited, and I found her crop was swollen. I massaged it and made her empty it. There were two smaller, stinging bugs in it--not wasps, but similar. Her comb and wattles were a very deep, unhealthy-looking purplish/brick-red. Her pupils were pulsating non-stop, and at first she was breathing open-mouthed. I poured some water over her head, and her wattles regained a better color--not great, but better, and she was still breathing heavily, but close-mouthed. I gave her a few eyedroppers full of red wine and olive oil, in case it was a crop issue, and then later we added some activated charcoal in case of some kind of poison. However, she just sat there the rest of the evening, and died sometime that night. Any ideas, as I don't want this to happen to any others in my flock!

Thank you!

You mentioned stinging bugs which probably stung her esophagus causing swelling to the point it closed her windpipe and due to the lack of oxygen, she suffocated. For stings, usually 1/2cc of children's liquid benedryl given orally in one 24 hour period may help in these situations. Sorry for your loss.

We wondered about the bugs, but have seen our chickens eat them before with no ill effects. Unfortunately it didn't occur to us to wonder about the bugs until after her death. :( Thank you for the kind words and the advice. I already keep an emergency bottle of red wine for the chickens, now I'll have to add the liquid benedryl!

If it's necessary to use benadryl in the future, dont overdose and pay attention to the 24 hour time. There could possibly be toxicity or even death.

Back
Top Bottom