Sudden duck death

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vivo, Jul 16, 2016.

  1. vivo

    vivo New Egg

    1
    0
    7
    Jul 16, 2016
    I went out to feed my ducks, my male BABY, indian runner duck seems slow, tierd, did not eat moved away from the pack, would not drink, heart pounding out of his chest, then with in 2 hours stopped walking, he seemed to be having a seizure within 3 hours of illness onset then he passed, but rigor set in in less than 4 min. I'm thinking he was poisoned, does any one know what would cause this, I'm grief-stricken over the loss of him
     
  2. ducksgomarching

    ducksgomarching Just Hatched

    22
    4
    16
    Jul 4, 2016
    Roseburg, OR
    Oh my gosh, that's awful, I'm so sorry you had to lose him that way. I'm not a vet, but if he was the only one of the bunch affected then I don't know what he could have gotten into that the others didn't? I have had birds (not ducks) since I was a little girl, and sadly they are well-known for hiding illness until it's too late :( It's possible that the cause was genetic, but again, I'm no professional. I wish I could offer more help.
     
  3. Amiga

    Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

    22,979
    1,950
    471
    Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It does sound like a toxin.

    Could have been botulism, has it been hot and dry where you are? That kind of weather seems to accelerate the decay of plant and animal material and increase the bacteria that produce the toxin.

    Another possibility is herbicide, pesticide, fertilizer, or similar substance often used by so many households. Since I don't know much about your situation I don't know if this is likely.

    Sometimes people use poisons to kill mice and rats, and the ducks can get into that, or eat a dead poisoned animal.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by