Sudden Egg Size Increase

crystalsc

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Greenville, SC
Today, I went to gather up the expected last egg in the nest box and when I picked it up I gasped! It’s easily double the size the eggs the girls have been laying. It’s massive (weighs 2.7oz). I handed it to my hubby to get his reaction and he was shocked too and said, “did this girl have a c-section?” 😂 Is it normal for their egg size to suddenly increase? They are barred rocks.
IMG_4893.jpeg

Today, I went to gather up the expected last egg in the nest box and when I picked it up I gasped! It’s easily double the size the eggs the girls have been laying. It’s massive (weighs 2.7oz). I handed it to my hubby to get his reaction and he was shocked too and said, “did this girl have a c-section?” 😂 Is it normal for their egg size to suddenly increase? They are barred rocks.
View attachment 3757377

It is probably a double-yolk egg (or possibly triple yolk or some other oddity, like an egg with another complete egg inside.) There are quite a few odd things that can happen when an egg is being formed. This article talks about some of them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

When you crack it open, maybe you can post a photo so we can see what was actually inside. I'm guessing two yolks plus an extra-large amount of white, because that is more common than any of the other things it could be.

Back
Top Bottom