Sudden Hen Death

It sounds okay? Our vet suggested we feed 100/120 grams per day per chicken, and limit treats to 10% of total intake per day. During the molt I was told to switch their feed to starter grower and offer calcium on the side (oyster shell) to up their protein that way. I would defer to those on here that have had flocks for long periods of time though, I am relatively new to keeping and so I feel like I made some mistakes in the beginning and wanted to share them with you.
I think it is really amazing of you to rescue those poor hens, I think they had a good life with you, regardless of length and you did the best you possibly could for them.

It sounds okay? Our vet suggested we feed 100/120 grams per day per chicken, and limit treats to 10% of total intake per day. During the molt I was told to switch their feed to starter grower and offer calcium on the side (oyster shell) to up their protein that way. I would defer to those on here that have had flocks for long periods of time though, I am relatively new to keeping and so I feel like I made some mistakes in the beginning and wanted to share them with you.
I think it is really amazing of you to rescue those poor hens, I think they had a good life with you, regardless of length and you did the best you possibly could for them.
Thank you, I just wish I could’ve done something more to save them. I only have two left now in that coop, I’m wondering if I should try and merge them, but am worried they may infect my other hens if it indeed something contagious.
I cleaned everything out tonight, even their waterer and feeder, and put some ACV along with oregano leaves in their water. I read that could help.

About a week ago I posted a thread about a 18mth old leghorn of mine whom I thought was eggbound...she unfortunately passed away.

Now, not even a week later, I have another hen who suddenly passed away as well. They both showed no signs of illness or any symptoms of something off until about 24hrs before they died. They both just became very sleepy and then couldn’t even stand.

I’ve read about Mareks and cocci, but there was no red poop and I believe they were probably too old to succumb to mareks. There are still two hens left in the same coop...they seem ok for now. The only other thing I can think of is possible poisoning. I keep the coop very clean, cleaning it every day. They didn’t have mites, lice, etc. They just finished molting and the one had just started laying again (1egg). The one who just passed tonight was holding it’s wing out a bit.

I’m just so devastated that all of a sudden two of them are gone within in a week with the same symptoms before they died.
I have had the same thing happen, I suspect Botulism possibly from being in the compost. The first hen died suddenly without symptoms, but the second one is hanging on. She woke up this morning with symptoms, and we have been nursing her and I gave her an antibiotic shot at the vets recommendation, and have been giving her water bottle cap fulls of water. We put her in a box with towels around her to hold her head up. Paralysis was causing her to droop her head with possibility of suffocation. I am so sorry for your loss, but be diligent to investigate their environment and continue to research possibilites to prevent and treat the other members of your flock. I have thoroughly cleaned all the water sources, and feeders and coops, feeding scoops etc. and have disposed of all food on hand and bought new food. I suspect the compost pile so am securing that so they can no longer access. I wish you all the luck and success with the remainder of your flock. I too keep my chickens clean and up until now have never had this happen, but Botulism can be dorment and bloom suddenly under the right conditions. https://nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/233569/botulism-in-chickens-ducks-and-others.pdf

Last edited:
About a week ago I posted a thread about a 18mth old leghorn of mine whom I thought was eggbound...she unfortunately passed away.

Now, not even a week later, I have another hen who suddenly passed away as well. They both showed no signs of illness or any symptoms of something off until about 24hrs before they died. They both just became very sleepy and then couldn’t even stand.

I’ve read about Mareks and cocci, but there was no red poop and I believe they were probably too old to succumb to mareks. There are still two hens left in the same coop...they seem ok for now. The only other thing I can think of is possible poisoning. I keep the coop very clean, cleaning it every day. They didn’t have mites, lice, etc. They just finished molting and the one had just started laying again (1egg). The one who just passed tonight was holding it’s wing out a bit.

I’m just so devastated that all of a sudden two of them are gone within in a week with the same symptoms before they died.
I have had the same thing happen, I suspect Botulism possibly from being in the compost. The first hen died suddenly without symptoms, but the second one is hanging on. She woke up this morning with symptoms, and we have been nursing her and I gave her an antibiotic shot at the vets recommendation, and have been giving her water bottle cap fulls of water. We put her in a box with towels around her to hold her head up. Paralysis was causing her to droop her head with possibility of suffocation. I am so sorry for your loss, but be diligent to investigate their environment and continue to research possibilites to prevent and treat the other members of your flock. I have thoroughly cleaned all the water sources, and feeders and coops, feeding scoops etc. and have disposed of all food on hand and bought new food. I suspect the compost pile so am securing that so they can no longer access. I wish you all the luck and success with the remainder of your flock. I too keep my chickens clean and up until now have never had this happen, but Botulism can be dorment and bloom suddenly under the right conditions. https://nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/233569/botulism-in-chickens-ducks-and-others.pdf

I am so sorry for your loss and know how you feel. I did a search on this site for "sudden death" because I had the same thing happen this morning. When I went to feed, I found our Buff Orpington, Margarette, dead where she slept on top of some plywood high up in the coop, with her head drooping and her eyes open. She was fine yesterday. The coop could use cleaning. Now I'm wondering if she died from botulism. She was only two and a half years old. We also lost a five-year old Marans a few months ago. I just found her dead in a nest box. She hadn't laid any eggs since her first year. We are constantly trapping mice in the coop (live trap and release). I feel so guilty. :(

Back
Top Bottom