Sudden Loss of Balance and Head Bobbing Hen

I don’t know how to attach videos here so I’m just going to describe it the best I can for now. Other users seem to have had this problem with their hens before but never figured out what it was or posted if their hens lived or not. My barnevelder Vera is about two years old and is the only chicken (I have five) currently laying. The others are all molting and one is a rooster who she sleeps next to and hangs around. She laid an egg this morning and ate and drank and did everything normally. The temperature here was normal, not cold or hot. She was perfectly fine until I went to close her and her companion into their coop for the night. Versace went to bed but when I went to find Vera, she was standing still back in a remote corner of the run bobbing her head like she was in a daze or trying to regain her equilibrium. Her tail was also straight out, not up like normal or down like if she was sick. I picked her up and checked her for injuries or mites, didn’t see anything wrong. Checked her vent which was perfectly fine. When I set her down she stumbled like she couldn’t balance. She had a hard time hopping up to get to the roost so I helped her up and she put her wings out like she needed them to balance. My main worry is Marek’s as someone in my neighborhood lost most of their flock to it about two years ago so I’ve always assumed it was all over the neighborhood. Versace has also been cranky since he’s been molting and he’s been pecking her on the head so it’s possible it’s a head injury. Has anyone else had this problem? How did it turn out? She’s primarily a pet so of course I don’t want to lose her but I’m really concerned for what it will do to Versace if she dies. I know it sounds ridiculous but he’s very sensitive and they really are close companions.

Also if anyone knows how to attach videos, please let me know! Thanks in advance!
This morning I’d say she’s much better but still stumbling every once in a while and has diarrhea. Maybe I should be treating this like a case of poisoning?

A blog post and/or cherry picked sales pitch is not quite what most consider hard evidence to back your statement, dear.
I didn’t provide either of those. I linked a high-end premium herbal supplement that has garlic as the first ingredient and that’s more than what you provided. I’ve always fed garlic to my chickens and they are thriving & super-healthy.

Are you going to furnish any evidence to your claims or are you going to keep digging a hole for yourself?

Just an update for anyone who might be having a similar problem in the future. Vera is doing great after nutridrench and probiotics in her water and even laid an egg yesterday. It just took her longer than usual. She’s still unsteady here and there, but is rehabilitating nicely!

After thinking maybe the garlic I put in her water had gone bad in the sun and maybe even given her botulism, I went looking around her run for any other possible causes since I didn’t think that was likely. I found this vine that wasn’t even there last week but must have sprouted berries after the rain we’ve been having. It looks a whole lot like bittersweet nightshade and there was a branch stretching down to Vera’s height where berries had clearly been eaten. One thing about Vera, the other chickens stay away from toxic plants but she will try ANYTHING so I need to do a better job of watching her. Thanks for all your help!
2A5EC6D1-E0A8-42D9-8686-83C3AB0CEAD6.jpeg

I'm glad to hear she's better.
I found this vine
it looks like honeysuckle to me. Grows here - cultivated and wild varieties - and the chickens here do not eat the berries, suggesting they're unpalatable if not toxic to chickens. It might be interesting to watch Vera if you haven't yet cut it down, and see if she avoids it either through instinct or through experience, if that is indeed what upset her system.

I don’t know how to attach videos here so I’m just going to describe it the best I can for now. Other users seem to have had this problem with their hens before but never figured out what it was or posted if their hens lived or not. My barnevelder Vera is about two years old and is the only chicken (I have five) currently laying. The others are all molting and one is a rooster who she sleeps next to and hangs around. She laid an egg this morning and ate and drank and did everything normally. The temperature here was normal, not cold or hot. She was perfectly fine until I went to close her and her companion into their coop for the night. Versace went to bed but when I went to find Vera, she was standing still back in a remote corner of the run bobbing her head like she was in a daze or trying to regain her equilibrium. Her tail was also straight out, not up like normal or down like if she was sick. I picked her up and checked her for injuries or mites, didn’t see anything wrong. Checked her vent which was perfectly fine. When I set her down she stumbled like she couldn’t balance. She had a hard time hopping up to get to the roost so I helped her up and she put her wings out like she needed them to balance. My main worry is Marek’s as someone in my neighborhood lost most of their flock to it about two years ago so I’ve always assumed it was all over the neighborhood. Versace has also been cranky since he’s been molting and he’s been pecking her on the head so it’s possible it’s a head injury. Has anyone else had this problem? How did it turn out? She’s primarily a pet so of course I don’t want to lose her but I’m really concerned for what it will do to Versace if she dies. I know it sounds ridiculous but he’s very sensitive and they really are close companions.

Also if anyone knows how to attach videos, please let me know! Thanks in advance!
You can upload a video to the GALLERY here too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/create
Youtube also works.

My Pekin , Joanie, has the same thing from-time-to-time, only her head swings a lot more. Since there are only three Pekins in the tractor coop I removed the roost and gave her a lawn mower catcher to sleep in as her sister, Suzie, will pick on Joanie when she's having one of her 'episodes'? She can go for a few days swinging her head quite low from side to side and wandering aimlessly but eats fine, and even races the others to the coop when she's well in order to get the best of the evening meal.

I give her ample amounts of hulled hemp seed sprinkled on soured milk curd and this seems to be keeping the symptoms at a minimum for the past 12months or so now.

My chickens are not vaxed.

Give hemp seeds a go, chillismom, loaded with Omega 3, 6 & 9. Good for humans as well! :)

Just an update for anyone who might be having a similar problem in the future. Vera is doing great after nutridrench and probiotics in her water and even laid an egg yesterday. It just took her longer than usual. She’s still unsteady here and there, but is rehabilitating nicely!

After thinking maybe the garlic I put in her water had gone bad in the sun and maybe even given her botulism, I went looking around her run for any other possible causes since I didn’t think that was likely. I found this vine that wasn’t even there last week but must have sprouted berries after the rain we’ve been having. It looks a whole lot like bittersweet nightshade and there was a branch stretching down to Vera’s height where berries had clearly been eaten. One thing about Vera, the other chickens stay away from toxic plants but she will try ANYTHING so I need to do a better job of watching her. Thanks for all your help!
View attachment 3659671
"Garlic contains allicin, another chemical that can cause anemia and weakness in birds."
^^By Dr. Laurie Hess, Dipl ABVP (Avian Practice)

I'm glad to hear she's better.

it looks like honeysuckle to me. Grows here - cultivated and wild varieties - and the chickens here do not eat the berries, suggesting they're unpalatable if not toxic to chickens. It might be interesting to watch Vera if you haven't yet cut it down, and see if she avoids it either through instinct or through experience, if that is indeed what upset her system.
We have some honeysuckle in the front yard (maybe a different variety) that they all tried small amounts of as pullets and have avoided it ever since, kind of like what you said. I think it irritates their digestive system. We already pulled the vines from the run just in case but I’ll definitely be keeping a closer eye on the environment in case it was something else. Thanks!

My Pekin , Joanie, has the same thing from-time-to-time, only her head swings a lot more. Since there are only three Pekins in the tractor coop I removed the roost and gave her a lawn mower catcher to sleep in as her sister, Suzie, will pick on Joanie when she's having one of her 'episodes'? She can go for a few days swinging her head quite low from side to side and wandering aimlessly but eats fine, and even races the others to the coop when she's well in order to get the best of the evening meal.

I give her ample amounts of hulled hemp seed sprinkled on soured milk curd and this seems to be keeping the symptoms at a minimum for the past 12months or so now.

My chickens are not vaxed.

Give hemp seeds a go, chillismom, loaded with Omega 3, 6 & 9. Good for humans as well! :)
Hey I love hemp seeds, myself! Will definitely look into them for chickens, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom