Sudden loss of balance

Kerioki

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2023
Hello

I have a 10 week old chick that suddenly lost her balance yesterday. I let her and her siblings out for a run and everything was normal. I noticed her and a few of her sisters laying down after a while and thought nothing of it as they usually stop to rest after running and pecking around. Then her sisters got up to rejoin the others but she stayed laying down. I thought it a bit strange as usually when one runs off the others are quick to follow. I kept an eye on her and noticed at one point she was on her side struggling to get up. I thought maybe one of her siblings ran by too fast and accidentally knocked her off balance, but then when she stood up she toppled right back down. I went to her and checked her legs for any obstruction but they were clear. I put her down and she walked a few steps before losing her balance again and falling backwards. At this point I started to panic because I didn't know what was wrong. She was fine all day before I let them out. She still had her appetite but could not eat with the others because she had no balance and they're all energetic, so I hand fed her. I basically just held and nursed her and did little feet exercises with her, which she didn't seem to mind. She didn't appear to be in any pain, it was just the balance that was off. In the night I separated her from her siblings because I didn't want them to walk on her or make her uncomfortable. Today when I checked on her she was awake and takng little steps. I kept her with me and as the day progressed she got stronger until she was walking fine, then she was running and it's like everything is back to normal. I'm still worried though because that loss of balance came out of nowhere. None of her siblings displayed any issues and they run in the same area. I'll keep monitoring her but she's running and flying and eating with the rest like nothing happened. I'm relieved but still worried. Has anyone had this experience?

I'm glad to hear she's doing better.

What do you feed, including treats?

It wouldn't hurt to give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E daily for a week to help give her a boost.

Do check for lice/mites, that her crop is emptying overnight and if you have photos of her and her poop you wish to share, we'll take a look at those too.

I'm glad to hear she's doing better.

What do you feed, including treats?

It wouldn't hurt to give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E daily for a week to help give her a boost.

Do check for lice/mites, that her crop is emptying overnight and if you have photos of her and her poop you wish to share, we'll take a look at those too.
She mainly eats the Pullet grower from the feed store. For treats I usually give them some scrambled eggs or plain greek yogurt with oats (they love that), ripe tomatoes are also a favourite. And of course there's the bugs they catch on their own.

I'll get those vitamins later today. She still seemed OK when I checked on her earlier. She's lively and even having "fights" with some of her rowdier siblings. The mama hen in me is still worried though lol.

I checked her thoroughly and not a single pest of any kind on her. I'll try to isolate her later to get some pics.

Of the things I know of, it could be an inner ear infection (balance is controlled by an organ in the inner ear) or avian encephalomyelitis, which apparently is very common but little recognized.

Have a look at this to see if it fits with your chick's symptoms:
https://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/content/avian-encephalomyelitis
Oh this sounds bad but I don't think it's this. Up until Saturday she never even got a sneeze or a pasty butt. Always high spirited, no depression or anything. That's why it was so easy for me to tell something was wrong.

She mainly eats the Pullet grower from the feed store. For treats I usually give them some scrambled eggs or plain greek yogurt with oats (they love that), ripe tomatoes are also a favourite. And of course there's the bugs they catch on their own.

I'll get those vitamins later today. She still seemed OK when I checked on her earlier. She's lively and even having "fights" with some of her rowdier siblings. The mama hen in me is still worried though lol.

I checked her thoroughly and not a single pest of any kind on her. I'll try to isolate her later to get some pics.

Oh this sounds bad but I don't think it's this. Up until Saturday she never even got a sneeze or a pasty butt. Always high spirited, no depression or anything. That's why it was so easy for me to tell something was wrong.
sneezing and pasty butt are not symptoms of this. Does she have any tremor? You said she's been prostrate and had balance issues.

sneezing and pasty butt are not symptoms of this. Does she have any tremor? You said she's been prostrate and had balance issues.
No when I said sneezing and pasty butt I simply meant she's been healthy since she hatched. When I read the symptoms it mentioned depression and so on so I was just basically saying she hasn't exhibited any symptoms of any kind, even of common illnesses. This is the first time she's been ill. And no tremors, nothing. Only the balance issue and even then she was attempting to walk it off. She's recovered now and acting like nothing was ever wrong, but i'm still concerned enough to monitor her and wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience.

What breed is she?

I'd try the vitamins to give her a boost. Not sure what happened there with her.
Hopefully there won't be any more problems. Keep us posted.
I'm not sure of the breed. I adopted them after their mom randomly showed up and hatched her eggs in my yard and left them. This is her. Sorry it's taken so long. In between being busy and catching her while she's playing mortal kombat with her siblings, this is the best pic I could take before she got annoyed lol. She's doing 100% better. I still gave her the vitamins though. Can't be too careful.

IMG_20230809_063312.jpg

She's a cutie pie!
I'm glad she's doing better. Hopefully she will continue to be well and thrive.
Ironically that's what i call her! I gave her and all her siblings names that fit their personalities and she's the most posh of the lot so I call her Cutie :D And she's definitely better. No more balance issues and quite active. I'll keep a beady eye on her for another few days but I think she's out of the woods. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom