Sudden sound - sad

clapping

Chirping
Sep 29, 2020
Hi all,

My chicken Joni has suddenly started making this very sad sound. I'm worried she has a respitory infection or is in pain. Can anyone identify or let me know if you went through something similar? For context, she's young and has had an injury in the past, and she also seems about to start laying (has been squatting). It's also been raining here the last few days :(

I couldn't figure out how to upload a video so here's a link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bmHBuzYaZD6RgHBV8

Thanksfor your help!

I am not sure about the sound she is making. They can make some fairly "different" sounds when young. I named one of mine squeaky because she sounded....well squeaky when she was younger. Has now out grown it, I guess. Anyway, she looks pretty young to be about ready to lay. How old is she? What kind of injury did she have and how long ago?

Besides the noise, is the hen exhibiting any other symptoms such as sneezing, facial swelling, nasal or ocular discharge?

The noise you're hearing is indicative of tracheal obstruction; that can be due to several conditions, but seed or other matter inhalation is a common cause. Most times, the problem will resolve itself over a few hours or a day. If the noise continues, it's possible the piece is lodged well into the trachea or she is suffering from something else, like Aspergillus. I would monitor her for now, and see if it goes away on its own.

Is she eating and drinking? If she might have a seed or something stuck in her trachea I would think some soft bread or a chunk of scrambled egg could possibly help sweep it down her throat. Otherwise I have never heard anything like that.

Have you looked in her beak and throat?

The sound is called stridor. Partial airway obstruction. As said before, could just be a bit of feed, if it doesnt clear up on it's own then possibly a respiratory infection. Anything that blocks the airway, or causes swelling there, can cause the sound.

Thanks all. She does seem lethargic but I did not see any nasal discharge. I inspected her and her crop felt a bit squishy, so I have her in the garage in a dark warm box with only water and I'll check on her & massage for the time being. When she is in the box or when I pick her up she is silent, no sound. So it seems to come and go. If that gives you any more indication, please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom