Suddenly aggressive male button quail--help!

6-8 weeks is a mature, fully grown bird. I'd say you could house 2-4 chicks for 3-4 weeks in a typical 10-gallon tank - and that would be pushing it.

I am having an issue with my button quail. I have three pairs each in their own habitat.All of the girls have feathers missing from the back of their heads - is this normal mating? I did get a video of one couple (Elmer and Fern) - it looked more like rape. the major problem is with one particular pair (Sam and Rose- they are in a 12x48 terrarium and seem to get along generally - they sleep next to each other at night and sometimes rest together in the little house - however he has pecked all the feathers out of her head, her neck and down her back. I wonder if I should introduce another female to give her some rest. The rapist may have to be rehomed and I could put that female with this couple- would that work? Seems like the females need a break.

Is it only the heads that lack feathers?
In general mating shouldn't cause visible feather loss - I've only had one male who was that rough with the females. How old are your birds? Did you get all of them in the same place? How and when were they introduced to each other?

Is it only the heads that lack feathers?
In general mating shouldn't cause visible feather loss - I've only had one male who was that rough with the females. How old are your birds? Did you get all of them in the same place? How and when were they introduced to each other?
This is Rose. Is it normal to look like that? They were all hatched together and after sexing, I paired them off-they are about 17-18 week old. the girls all lay eggs. they all have feathers missing, but Rose is by far the worst.

Attachments

• Rose and Sam.JPG
    Rose and Sam.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 10
Not normal, no. Seems your boys are too rough with the girls. You can try to give them lots of hiding places - branches or fake plants all along the edges of the cage for the girls to hide behind for instance. A low shelf (around 15 cm above the bedding) in the end works well for me too - if the girls don't want to be mated, they'll often escape up there and the male usually doesn't figure out how to get up there as well.

Not normal, no. Seems your boys are too rough with the girls. You can try to give them lots of hiding places - branches or fake plants all along the edges of the cage for the girls to hide behind for instance. A low shelf (around 15 cm above the bedding) in the end works well for me too - if the girls don't want to be mated, they'll often escape up there and the male usually doesn't figure out how to get up there as well.
I put Rose in with Skeeter and Ivy- they seem to be getting on well. I haven't heard her chittering in fear- will see how things go overnight. If they continue to get along, I will make a platform. There are plants in the enclosure, but I can add a few more. How long was the platform? The width of the terrarium? or just enough for one bird?
The quail habitat.jpg

The bigger the platform, the more likely they are to use it, so I'd make it as long as the terrarium is wide and perhaps 8 inches or so in width. Sometimes I'll put oyster shells for the girls up there as well, that tends to make them use it more. If they are not using it at all it is likely too high up - if the roo is using it too, it might be too low. I usually don't add any kind of ramp to help them get up there, I let them figure out they have to fly/jump.

The bigger the platform, the more likely they are to use it, so I'd make it as long as the terrarium is wide and perhaps 8 inches or so in width. Sometimes I'll put oyster shells for the girls up there as well, that tends to make them use it more. If they are not using it at all it is likely too high up - if the roo is using it too, it might be too low. I usually don't add any kind of ramp to help them get up there, I let them figure out they have to fly/jump.
Thanks DK newbie. I will do that. So far so good- Rose still is afraid to be around the male, but she will come and eat at the bowl with the female. I think it may work out.

Back
Top Bottom