Suddenly aggressive rooster: I need help

I don't think we will ever know why a chicken's personality changes suddenly. As humans, we can't know what goes on in those little pea brains.

I would not wait until he goes after you again to get him moving out of the way. I would suggest you go on the offensive and act first. That way - if he gets the message - he will always think twice about coming after you. Don't ever let that door open again. That's how I would handle it, anyway. Again, it's your bird and you need to decide what's the best course of action. If he's fine now, maybe give him time. If he comes at you again, then you spend the next few days on the offense, and hopefully reset his little brain. I hope it all works out for you so you can keep him.

I found this article very interesting, right now I am having a problem with one of my cockerels. He is 10 months old and lives with two other roosters of the same age and raised together since my broody hatched them. The three cockerels live by themselves (no hens) in their own coop, run and yard. This particular cockerel has been at the bottom of the pecking order and absolutely insists in stepping up so the 2 other cockerels have small fights with him all the time (nothing serious). After reading this article I ignore him every time he approaches me and I pretend he is not there. So far he has not flogged me again however it does not mean he won't, this is the thing with roosters. They are not consistent and they change their attitude whenever they want

https://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/help-for-agressive-roosters

Back
Top Bottom