Suddenly Blind Chicken

keechoo

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
My hen who was born with very tiny pupils that don't react to light had started staying in the coop on cloudy days about a couple of months ago. I thought nothing of it and let her be. She always slept on the highest perch which is about 6 feet off the ground. Yesterday when I let them out I noticed she was bumping into things. She would cock her head to see the food but her perception was off and couldn't get to it. After a few tries she went off and started walking the perimeter of the fence. A few hours later when I went to check on her, the head wasn't cocked and she couldn't see at all. I tried holding her favorite up to her beak and touched it to her beak but she wouldn't take it. When I poured new food into their dish she walked over while bumping into everyone and eventually managed to get some food. I'm a bit worried about her not getting any water since the waterers require a bit more precision and since she can't see it... Everything is kept in the same area and she follows the noise of the other birds to get around. Any suggestions as to what to do? Or why this happened all of a sudden? She is going to be 3 years old this summer and like I said, she was born with these tiny pupils. Did they just give out? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm not real experience with chickens, but am a nurse. I'm not sure what could have caused the small pupils or blindness, hopefully someone more experienced will have some ideas. However, I'm sure like any other animal she will adjust in time. Just keep everything in the same place and eventually she will get to the food, water, roosts, nest boxes without difficulty. Keep a close eye one her for awhile to make sure she is eating and drinking. Good luck and hope she does well.

Back
Top Bottom